Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 11:44am
Quote: I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Glue (Read 2569 times)
Bob
GDPR opt-out

Glue
Mar 14th, 2007, 7:05pm

Evening all, I have removed some self adhesive border which was applied onto a painted wall, I used a steam wallpaper stripper as it was stuck like $hit to a blanket. Trouble is it has left alot of the glue behind, it's too hard to scrape and too soft to sand. Any tips for getting it off ready for repainting. My next thought is thinners but would this 'attack' the emulsion behind it?

Thanks  Cheesy

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Re: Glue
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2007, 10:12pm

Try spraying it with WD40, leave it on for a few minutes and scrape, wipe or whatever.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2007, 1:58pm

Hi Bob, if after trying WD40, or white spirit, meths, or even the paper stripper, and you still cant get the glue off, then let me know, and I will tell you what to do to hid it, so it wont show thru when you are painting the wall.

I have come up against this many times, but I wont type it all out till I know you have exhausted all avenues. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bob
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2007, 9:42pm

Cheers, I'll give them a crack Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bob
Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2007, 9:01pm

Update: When it was cold Saturday morning if I gave it some grief with the sander it broke the surface and would then rub off with my fingers (it sounds easy but was quite hard going) luckily it was only a small box room as I ended up with very sore fingers and thumbs  Cry However White spirit + Meths didn't work and I didn't get round to trying anything else. Cheers for your help. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print