Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 4:17am
Quote: The grass is always greener when you remember to water it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting over the cracks (Read 3126 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Painting over the cracks
Nov 28th, 2007, 1:38pm

I have some minor hair line cracks that need some prep before repainting ...

One is a but joint in sheets of MDF. It's been filled with light weight filler and painted but reopens and closes with the weather and humidity.  

The other is a crack(s) in the plaster above a fireplace - Its a stress crack caused by the heat from the fire/chimney - appeared first time the fire was used. I suspect this might also open and close when the fire ie used.

Both are very fine but a bit annoying as they are in obvious places. Is there a flexible undercoat for emulsion that would be worth trying?

..or should I be looking at widening the crack and using a flexible gap filler? The latter would be a bit of a pain on the chimney cracks due to their shape and number. Last time I used flexible filler it was also impossible to sand it down to get a good finish (too rubbery).

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jimcam
Re: Painting over the cracks
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2007, 3:25pm

Have you tried yellow gripfill?

Widen the gap, gripfill it and scrape flat and then take a look at it 24 hours later (gripfill tends to shrink and expand a bit as it goes off).

Then see if it needs filling again. Once its flat and stable, prime (Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 contains latex and is pretty flexible) and paint over.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2007, 9:06am

Thaks I'll have another go at it.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2007, 9:14pm

Cracks are famous for opening up above rads and fireplaces, what I would do, and you will be better off afterwards painting the whole wall afterwards.
I would open the crack all the way, about 1/2 wide, and go a couple of inches above and below it.
Then, add a bit of diluted PVA into the crack, leave to dry then fill, dont over fill it, let the filler sink in, so you still have an indent.
Sand that back, and brush the filler again with diluted PVA, keep doing this till the filler is flush with the wall.

When dry, get some of your emulsion, dilute it slightly and brush this on where you have filled, do this about 3 times, then roll the whole wall as normal.

You could also do what I mentioned above, cut the crack out etc, but put some scrim tape over the crack, then fill and again do what I just wrote.

If you use decorators caulk in the crack, there is a chance of the actual white of the caulk flashing through.

You could also scrim tape the MDF and fill like I said above. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print