Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 8:21am
Quote: Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Patching an artex ceiling (Read 4683 times)
jimcam
GDPR opt-out

Patching an artex ceiling
Jan 15th, 2008, 8:57am

I've got a metre square bit of board to replace on an artexed bedroom ceiling. Once replaced I need to try and get a decent artex-style surface on it before painting so that bit doesn't stand out.  Undecided

It's a simple pattern - not tight swirls but more like loose circular 'waves', and very shallow. What's the best approach to do this and what's the best product to use?

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: Patching an artex ceiling
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2008, 6:51pm

Whatever you do it will always show.  Textured ceilings can't be repaired invisibly I'm afraid.  It's like trying to repair a patch of pebbledash, impossible to make invisible.

What's best to match?  It all depends what's on there now.  Is it Artex or one of those diy Polytex or similar?

IP Logged

jimcam
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2008, 9:16am

I don't know what product was used - before my time there.

Is there anything out there I could use? As I say, I don't want loads of it - just enough for a metre square patch.

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2008, 9:26pm

You can get Artex in 5kg bags for small repairs, cost about £6 or £7.  Have you got a texturing brush with the rubber bristles?

IP Logged

jimcam
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2008, 9:08pm

No. Better get one, I suppose.

I think it's the 'broken leather' style artex pattern so I think you have to use one of those rubber brushes through a plastic bag, don't you?

I've boarded the hole and put a coat of one coat plaster over the board but I think I'll need to put on another layer on top of that to bring the level up before artexing on top as the artex isn't very deep.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print