Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 8:00am
Quote: A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Static Electricity Shocks from Laminate Floor (Read 11669 times)
XDR5
GDPR opt-out

Static Electricity Shocks from Laminate Floor
Jan 23rd, 2008, 8:20pm

I posted a question on this forum a few months back about laying a B&Q wooden laminate floor.  Thanks again to all who responded - the job went very well and the end result was very impressive.  His wife thought it looked great - the ultimate test!!

The plastic membrane my mate supplied was in fact specifically designed for wooden floors so all was OK in that department.

Just after laying the floor and whilst doing some other work we kept getting static electricity shocks whenever we touched the metal (earthed) light switches.  This was most disconcerting  Kiss

Now that the skirting boards have been fitted and all the furniture is in this does not seem to be a problem any more.

Is this a problem that anyone else has come across??

My schoolboy physics tells me that wood is not a conductor - but are the skirting boards (at some points in contact with the floor) somehow earthing the floating wooden foor ??

Any ideas chaps ??
Huh

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Static Electricity Shocks from Laminate Floor
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2008, 9:39pm

Odd Undecided I would think it was something else causing the static and it is just coincidence that it changed with the fitting of the skirting.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2008, 8:27pm

The static is building up on your body and clothing - you then discharge to any earthed component.  Try it in the dark by holding a screwdriver and watch the spark jump to earth.

To check this out try walking around naked all static should go.  I tried to do this at the local Library but got kicked out - they would not listen to my saying it was a technical experiment Cheesy

The reason for now but not before is probably down to the fact that you are now better insulated from earth as you wander around.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2008, 8:28pm by Bayden_Rank »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2008, 8:02pm

Requires two things to do this:

1) Source of static, typically two dissimilar plastics rubbing together (shoes/socks on plastic coated laminate?)

2) No path for the charge to leak to ground (the plastic under the laminate is probably a good insulator)

The shock occurs when you discharge yourself to ground (eg the earthed face plates).  

So why doesn't it do it now? Several ideas..

As you say, when you fitted the skirting that might have provided a sufficient leakage path to ground by bridging the plastic sheet under the laminate. (eg bridging from the top surface of the laminate to the floor/earth).

or perhaps you are wearing shoes now instead of socks?

or perhaps his wife has mopped the floor?

or perhaps the laminate has absorbed a little water from the air now? The dusty factory might be very dry? Do they use heat to bond it etc.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2008, 7:45pm

Or he has stopped wearing nylon underpants Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print