Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 9:22am
Quote: To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk - Thomas Edison

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tricky alcove shelving (Read 4146 times)
kweds
GDPR opt-out

Tricky alcove shelving
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:00pm

I’m planning to put three bookshelves up in a deep cube-shaped alcove in my front hall. I have measured the walls and it’s a really irregular shape:

· Depth on left hand side = 54 cm
· Depth on right hand side = 70 cm
· Width (across the back) = 89 cm
· Height = 102 cm

Ideally I'd like three levels of shelves with concealed fixings and attached to the wall on each of the three sides (to make a squae U-shape). From a previous post (http://www.askthetrades.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1179834892), I understand that the best way to make these shelves – given that the walls are not regular and not at right angles – is to make a cardboard template as the guide for each shelf.

But can I do this with floating shelves, oir disguised fixings? And if so, can anyone give me any tips?

Many thanks!

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Tricky alcove shelving
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2008, 7:42am

Fix a batten around the three sides of the alcove, use your template to make a top & bottom for each shelf and fix these to the batten. Use more batten to fill around the front edges then edge with a thin strip of timber, MDF  or veneer. depending on what finish you want.

These were done in a similar way but as the alcove was wider at the front they were made up off site and slid onto the battens

Jason
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2008, 5:11pm by jasonB »  

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2008, 5:11pm

Thanks, missed the [, will edit the post

J

IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2008, 5:54pm

Excellent advice (and work by the way guys) it will come in handy when I finally get around to sorting out the alcove next to the chimney breast.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2008, 3:58pm

I think I woud fit a back to the alcove to make it same depth both sides.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print