Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 9:13am
Quote: A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bathroom tiling- order of works (Read 5355 times)
pault
GDPR opt-out

Bathroom tiling- order of works
Feb 16th, 2008, 10:24am

Hi all

Not sure im in the right section but here goes. Im in the process of regutting a onld bathroom suite and retiling the walls from floor to ceiling. I will be using a plumber (obviously) and a friend whi is a tiler so im not doing it myself. I was just curious about the order of works as i dont want to do it in the wrong order.

I will completelty remove the bathroom suitemyself and remove old tiles fron the wall. My query is what comes next??? Does the bathroom suite go in 1st or do we tile the walls and them plumb in the suite after the tiles are on so we dont have to tile around the toilet and hand basin etc??

What order would you guys do it in?

Thanks

Paul
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2008, 8:02am by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Bathroom tiling- order of works
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2008, 12:30pm

I'm not a professional but this is what I would do..

Tile before mounting a wall mounted basins and/or and toilet/cistern.

Tile after mounting the bath. The seal between bath and wall is a common problem area. It makes a big difference if the bath is on a rigid fame and can't move when you get in an out. Helps to make sure the floor is reinforced under the frame and fix a batten to the wall for the edge of the bath to rest on - or even a full wooden frame. Mark a pencil line where the bath comes on the wall then climb into the bath - this helps show up any movement. Get it as rigid as poss and the bath seal will last a lot longer.  Seal bath to wall. Tile down to the bath. Seal bath to tiles.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2008, 4:59pm

I completly fit bath, shower tray, shower mixer. Test fit and plumb for basin, loo & rad allowing for thickness of tile/adhesive then remove them leaving services shut off with isolating valves.

The area is then free for the tiler who can just drill his tiles to suit pipe locations, once tiled get the plumber back to do the second fix - fit basin, Loo, rad, shower screen etc.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2008, 5:31pm

Quote:
I completly fit bath, shower tray, shower mixer. Test fit and plumb for basin, loo & rad allowing for thickness of tile/adhesive then remove them leaving services shut off with isolating valves.

The area is then free for the tiler who can just drill his tiles to suit pipe locations, once tiled get the plumber back to do the second fix - fit basin, Loo, rad, shower screen etc.

Jason

As I said in the plumbing forum JasonB,
A lot of shower enclosures (Showerlux) for example have to be tiled the continental way or they don't fit. That is tile first and fit the tray to the tiles

IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2008, 6:15pm

A tiler once told me never to screw a basin to a tiled wall as people tend t lean on basins and this can lead to cracking tiles if the basin is screwed to the wall via the tiles. The tiler should be able to tile around the basin, tricky? Yes but I have seen it done by pro's and it looks very nice when done properly.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2008, 7:58am by Lectrician »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2008, 6:23pm

Depends on the wall material RR, but you should always tap the plug ridht through the tile and not leave it flush

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2008, 8:16am

We do it exactly the same as Jason.  Regarding screwing a basin to a tiled wall, we always run a small bead of clear silicone to the back edge (unseen) of the basin prior to screwing it to the tiled wall.  The basin now doesn't need to be screwed really tight (fairly tight - yes) as the silicone acts as a weld when set.  You could even remove the screws altogether next day and the basin would not move.

We always mark the centre line of the basin on the wall prior to tiling as some tilers like to use the basin as a datum so that the tiles sit equally across the back of the basin.

We also always mark the centre line of the wc pan onto the floor as again, some floor tilers like to centre on the pan if possible.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2008, 9:34am

True Scruff, he was referring to a stud wall - I am sure it would be OK on a solid wall.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.