Quote: If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
extra mains rcd (Read 1541 times)
liamjack
GDPR opt-out

extra mains rcd
Mar 9th, 2008, 6:55pm

at present my dist bd is located directly beow bathroom.i am worried that if bath overfkowed cold be dangerous.would it be advisable to have a seperate mains rcd fitted alongside incoming supply at meter under stairs?any advice much appreciated Smiley

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Re: extra mains rcd
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2008, 1:16am

You're drunker than I

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: extra mains rcd
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2008, 8:29pm

Quote:
You're drunker than I
 I take it you are refering to the grammer, spelling and typos Wink

There is nothing in the regulations that requires you to provide an RCD as supplementary protection against flooding!

You should design your installation with "external influence" in mind, and there by limit the risk of damage to the electrical installation by thus external influences such as water, heat etc.

Fitting an RCD to protect an installation as a whole is actually also contravening the regs in terms of discrimination.  You are meant to design the installation to limit 'inconvenience' if a protective device is to trip.

When a bath tub overflows and a pipe bursts, the water finds it way through the floow and ceiling and can appear in places you would never expect.  It may not simply come straight through.

Maybe take some photos if you believe your installation really warrents some extra procautions, and we can give our opinion.  But by the sounds of it you are worrying un-neccessarily.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print