Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 11:43am
Quote: Ok, so what's the speed of dark?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decent Wireless Alarm System ? (Read 10955 times)
Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Decent Wireless Alarm System ?
Jun 27th, 2008, 7:36pm

Is there such a thing as a decent wireless alarm system? This would be for use in a Villa in Egypt where the walls / floors / ceilings are all solid so chasing cables would not be an option.
The 'Response' and other such systems only have a 4 bit code so are intrinsically crap.
It must have the option of adding a dialler.

IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
GDPR opt-out

Re: Decent Wireless Alarm System ?
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2008, 8:01pm

If you intend to add a dialler then forget wireless altogether - it will cost you a fortune if false call out charges, they may even cut your head off. What's wrong with a good old length of MT?
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2008, 8:02pm by santacruz »  

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2008, 9:25pm

I have a Visonic on 868 Mhz with half a dozen Quad PIR sensors and four key fobs for arming/disarming. I was told the Quad sensors were pretty bomb proof and that does seem to be the case. It has worked more or less perfectly for 18 months so far. No false alarms but perhaps that's because we don't have pets. On one ocasion it gave a few error beeps which might have been due to really bad power spikes but that was 6 months ago and it's been fine since. I installed it myself and set it up to dial my mobile via land line.

I believe Visonic make the BT system for them - or at least they did when I got mine.

I chose 868 mHz over the 434 MHz because I think 434 mHz is also used for garage door openers. I'm not sure which band is legal/works in Egypt.

In the USA Visonic sell an add on that allows you to install cameras and dial into a camera to see who's in your house...but that's never made it to the UK and there are better systems around to do this seperately from the alarm.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2008, 3:01pm

Thanks guys, that looks to be about what I want. Cheers.........

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2009, 9:49am

CWatters are you still happy with your alarm?
I need to get one if we get this property because it will be empty for a few weeks, while work is being done. The dialler can call me to let me know some thieving &$%&&* is trying to break in and I can go and sort it out.
It looks like a fairly basic kit with a couple of PIRs, Door/window contacts, fobs, bell box and the control box are around £200. Not the cheapest alarm system out there but the reviews seem to suggest it is a good system.

Ta,

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2009, 8:42pm

Yes still happy. Still not had a false alarm. My only comment is that it's a pretty complex system and it takes awhile to find your way around the installation manual. I reckon I don't use 99% of the settings/features.

The bit I found most hard to follow was to do with configuring sensors to allow an access corridor during the entry/exit delay. If I remember correctly I just ignored it and it wasn't a problem. If I arm my system while in the house I have 30 seconds to leave. I think the system allows you to limit where you can go during the exit delay but the explanation in the manual was poor.

We're still on the first set of batteries in the PIR sensors so no worries about those needing frequent replacement. So far only had to replace one battery in a key fob.

The radio range of the keyfob is "sufficient" rather than great but I think that's mostly because I have foil covered insulation in the cavity walls.

I currently have our system set up to call me when there is any change in status including arming and disarming but will soon be reducing that to Alarm calls only. The notification calls only last a few seconds but BT round them up to the nearest min so it soon adds up on the bill if you come and go all day.

I believe the system is the same as the one BT sell but I don't think you can get BT to monitor it if you install it yourself.

Visonic have an add on availavble in the USA that allows you to see the inside of your house on a web enabled phone (I think). Last I heard that wasn't yet available in the UK but that may have changed.

It may help to know there is a programable output pin on the back of the control box. This can be configured to be active under your choice of events. With the right driver relay it could be used for all sorts of things such as controlling an electronic goor lock. I thought it would be neat to connect it to an LED somewhere that flashes once when the alarm status changes. That way I can tell the control box has recieved the signal from the key fob - a bit like the LED on the front of a TV that lights up when you press the TV remote.  That would allow you to arm the system from somewhere where you can't hear the control panel exit pips.

I recently discovered they make flood sensors so might get one or two to put under the dishwasher/washing machine.

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2009, 10:36pm

Thanx CWatters. It does look like a all singing all dancing system.
I think you can also get an X10 module which can be used to control heating, lighting etc. I got bored half way down the list of features so there is probably a lot I don't know yet  Roll Eyes
I will see if I can find one that comes with the bits I want for less than £200....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2009, 9:39am

I've not tried x10 with the Visonic but just on it's own. I found x10 pretty unreliable.

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2009, 8:48pm

Still very pleased with our alarm system but had interesting time today.

After nearly three years one of the batteries in a PIR sensor decided it was low and sent the appropriate message to the control panel. So the panel stars going BEEP and continues to BEEP every min or so. Not having a battery to hand I wanted to suppress the BEEPING...

The manual isn't clear on this point and it's hard to concentrate when you know it will BEEP any moment. Eventually discovered you can "Bypass" a sensor to tell the control panel to ignore it. That appeared to work so I sat down to watch TV.

Short while later the BEEPing start again. Persistent bugger, I thought and get the manual out again. This time I discover you can turn off the "Trouble beeps". A few key presses and I'm convinced I've killed the beast this time.

Certain it was dead I went to my office and sat at my computer. Suddenly my mobile phone rings and it's the alarm system ringing to tell me about the low battery again. I'm now convinced it's haunting me  Shocked
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2009, 8:48pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2009, 4:33pm

They are too clever!
Mine phones me when me the alarm goes off (normally when I walk back into the house without disarming the alarm  Roll Eyes).
Which button do you press to acknowledge the alarm when it phones you?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2009, 8:06am

Button 2 on your phone stops it trying to call until the next event/alarm.

Depending on the panel setting you may get two calls. One to tell you about the alarm and a second to tell you you have disarmed the system.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2009, 8:11am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2009, 1:27pm

Thanks for that, I think it is just the one call on ours. Hopefully next year I will be able to go through the settings again and fine tune it, it was installed in a hurry when were doing up the house.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2009, 10:06am

There are quite a few options on the dialler. You can have it call for Alarms or Events or both. Also the number of attempts to make before trying alternative number. eg ring you three times before tying your wifes number. That sort of thing.

Main problem is BT's habit of charging you a minimium call charge for a call that only lasts 10 seconds.

Just for info..

We're using the "quad" sensors. On two of these I left the LED enabled (link inside sensor) and they have just recently given me low battery messages.  So looks like the batteries last about three years with the LED enabled. Not sure yet about life with the LED off.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2009, 10:10am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Fastalarms
Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2010, 12:51am

I have installed over 200 Yale telecommunicating alarms and problems are non existent. Battery life is panning out at around 18 months for PIR sensors. They do use standard AAA batteries rather than duracell or other high power cells. The manual suggests not to use Duracells etc. I don't know why allthough people who have tried to have informed me that they don't work. i suspect its just down to the electrode shape.
You can get Lithium AAA now so getting 5yrs out of a pir should be easily possible. I might trial some.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2010, 8:08am

|Welcome to ATT Fastalarms.
I had a look at the Yale alarms before I bought my Visonic but I felt the Visonic was better quality product. They may have the same insides in them for all I know but the Visonc ticked all the right boxes for me and I am very happy with it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Fastalarms
Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2010, 11:55am

Its probably the other way around. The Visonic will have the 866Mhz system which is a frequency set aside for alarms whereas the Yale works at 433Mhz and competes for airspace with car fobs , door chimes and others.

The Visonic will probably have a greater than 30m range allthough I have tested the Yale to 125m in open field tests.

However its frequency has yet to have created a problem in any installs I have done and Guarantee.
The Yale in my opinion (Having had both) does have better finished plastics and controls.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print