Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 6:06am
Quote: I hate being bi-polar...its Brilliant!!!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
damp window sill (Read 4806 times)
ladylotusflower
GDPR opt-out

damp window sill
Sep 7th, 2008, 3:01pm

Hi I hope you can help me ?! The window sill outside my bathroom has become wet and this has gradulally spread. I have just got rid of most of the wet wood by digging it out with a chisel, but this goes down to about one and a half inches below the original surface level.  Some of the wood was dark and wet ...but some was also pale golden and very flaky ...almost crumbling to a powder between the fingers. Does this sound like wet rot ...and dry rot ? .. there is no fungus, or threads etc.

My plan was to let it dry out , fill it and then re paint it. Should I treat the wood first for wet/dry rot ...and how do I know for defi nite if it is either ?What would you advise?
thanks alot
Carolyn  Smiley

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: damp window sill
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2008, 6:09pm

Hi Carolyn, sounds like the wood has been wet, rotted then dried out leaving it pale and crumbly. "Dry rot" is a bit of a misleading term as the fungus needs high levels of moisture to flourish.

You need to cut out all the soft and wet timber, give it a good soaking in wood treatment, let it dry then fill using a two part filler.

It would also be a good idea to see if there is any obvious reason why the wood has got so wet, is the mastic missing for instance?

Keith

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2008, 6:50pm

I took it to be an outside window cill?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ladylotusflower
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2008, 1:36am

Thanks Keith,
I will have a go ! I know WHY it is wet ...it's my bathroom window and the way i designed my bathroom it has a sunken bath/shower...its all lined with slate tiles and water from the shower falls onto the window! i do wipe it down inside and outside every time it's used ...and it's taken 10 years to get like this ...but obviously a little bit of water is  finding it's way down somehow. i also think  there might be a gap between the concrete lintel and brickwork ...so rain may also be getting in from there.
Carolyn Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ladylotusflower
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2008, 1:38am

...oh and yes the problem area is on the outside  Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print