Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 11th, 2024, 6:01am
Quote: Everyone has a photographic memory - some just don't have film.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Brussel sprouts smell! (Read 30462 times)
londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Brussel sprouts smell!
Dec 1st, 2008, 10:46pm

No...not a wind-up. Renovating this old cottage. Took it back to the original shell. Smelt pretty pongy at times. Thought it might have been the drains but they check out OK.  Thought it might be a dead rat but since all the rooms were back to the bare walls and the ceilings were open - both between ground floor and first floor and also open to the roof space totally, couldn't see anything at all.  Then it went away.

Now after dry-lining and making good, it's back but not all the time. Any suggestions?

Here are the more wackier suggestions I've already come up with or discounted but really scratching my head here.

1) Don't think it's SWMBO farting

2) No dog so its' not that

3) Poltergeist.  Suggested it to the missus who freaked out. Mind you, the next day when she wasn't there I smelt it again and so told the poltergeist to f*** Off and no smell today and SWMBO is back on site....see suggestion (1)

Can old brickwork/chimneys smell like brussel sprouts?

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Re: Brussel sprouts smell!
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008, 10:58pm

This is a long shot but if any sinks, basins or bogs have not been used for a while then the water evaporates from the traps and you get raw sewage smell coming back into the property.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2008, 11:05pm

Thanks for the suggestion but already checked that one  Embarrassed

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008, 11:21pm

where is the property in relation to any farm buildings/farm fields etc!!!
as wind ( NO not your Swmbo) can carry smells for miles!

basically just keep a check on wind direction when the aroma returns!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Sandy

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 6:33pm

Could you have cracked an old pipe or something whilst you have been doing some work? Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 8:42pm

Is there a part-time brussel sprout factory next door?  Roll Eyes

but more seriously.........  is the smell also outside when you can smell it indoors?
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008, 8:42pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:06pm

Wolf - good idea - need to check - which addresses Jerry's point.

Sandy - no pipes to crack. Actually, that's not quite true come to think of it. There is something underneath what was the conservatory but now the new orangerie. Maybe an old well but capped and sealed and never touched. Then cemented over with self-levelling compound, cement and tiles.  One of the rain water pipes does empty into a clay pipe that heads off in the direction of said well. But it really is capped and sealed good and there is no other entry - we excavated the inside of 2/3 of the ground floor prior to laying the dpc and concrete floor.  There was one other pipe entry from inside the orangerie and I sealed that off and it's behind a stud dwarf partition (that is still open at the top so I can sniff for smells - and did check it for any smells when the brussels came on-stream but it was clean as a whistle.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:39pm

i stated my idea as i live the other end of a road from a farm, and lately due to the increase in rain fall, the rotting veg area is chucking up a lot more than normal, so when the wind blows, in a certain direction, boy does it hummm!!!!!!!!1

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

DaG
Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2008, 1:48pm

Have you tried a different deodarant? Brussels for men was never a popular seller. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2008, 7:01pm

It's not obviously outside although we did get a slight whiff when me and my plasterer were trying to work out where it was coming from on Sunday. He thought that it was a drain-type smell but when we stuck our noses into the vent pipe it was as clean as a whistle.  I do have an air-admittance valve inside the house and wondered if that had stuck in the open position but not convinced it is so because (a) see earlier comment on zero smell from ventpipe and (b) removing the electrical socket in the boxed in area containing the AAV did not give any smell at all.

There is a draft that comes down between the insulation and the outside brickwork and this seeps under the studwork and that kind of smelled a bit so maybe it's a dead rat up in the loft...only thing against that is that the missues reckons that it only occurs when it's cold outside (but then today was cold outside as was yesterday and no smell).

Flummoxed.  Bloody poltergeist and no, it's not my trainers.

IP Logged

Goodsparks
Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2008, 3:07pm

Dead bird up the chimney ?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2008, 9:45pm

Quote:
Dead bird up the chimney ?

Thought about that but sticking the nose up the chimney came away clean. Think it's going to be a question of lots of foam to seal the gaps!

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2008, 9:53am

What's the soil smell like? I grew up in Surrey and if you dug a few feet down the soil itself had quite a strong smell.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2008, 3:29pm

Well, at least you've eliminated the wife 'cos she was out of the house when it appeared the one time. And yes, old chimneys can sometimes smell pretty foul, especially (although not invariably) if they've been bricked up, it's the residual smell from the sulphurous coal they used to burn in those far off days. From your description of the smell as being fart-like - farts smell of bad eggs, sulpherous, and it's usually worst just after rain, when the dampness seeps into the brick. There you go, total exoneration of wife!

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:53pm

Interesting idea.  The rain was a red-herring on my part as we've not had any rain for the last 7-10 days or so and it still is there.

Investigation of the soilpipes/sewage system update...

The smell came back this morning and as things thawed out a bit I decided to investigate the above a bit further.

The tank is a septic tank. I checked the level and it's about 5 ft below ground level. Opening the cover to it didn't give off the same smell (or anything like).

Working back, I opened the inspection cover to the first downpipe. This is a new downpipe and takes waste water from the ensuite including shower/basin/wc. There is a short stub pipe with an air admittance valve boxed up behind the stud partition. I've got a mains socket in this partition by the pipe but removing the socket and sniffing has never shown the smell. Also the downpipe was exposed on the other side and again no smell apparent even when the smell was elsewhere.  So I kind of ruled this pipe out.  Opening the inspection cover didn't give off any smells like brussel sprouts..in fact quite sweet.

I did notice that the flow was lazy and rodded the pipe between this inspection pit and the septic tank and cleared out some old rags.  Then went in for lunch.

While lunch was cooking the smell went away. Now that's either because it was masked by my lunch or it's gone away.

So I've left the two inspection pits open and will wait and see if the smell returns.

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:19pm

Glad I was not there today Smiley Hopefully you have solved it...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 1:59pm

Anyone got Ghostbuster's number?

Sorry, Londonman, when you're in the middle of this sort of thing your sense of humour tends to get a bit strained. I know you've had your nose up there more than once, but I still keep coming back to the chimney because of your description of the smell, which need not necessarily come from the actual chimney place but from the brickwork, or rather the mortar which, in an old house, will be lime mortar and that does react with the sulpherous deposits left from burning coal producing calcium sulphate which actually causes the mortar to weaken and expand. I'd be inclined to cut a section back to the brickwork and inspect/smell the mortar joints. If it's not that then I await your discovery of the actual cause with real interest because every other contributor seems to have covered every other eventuality. Good luck.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print