Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 7:13pm
Quote: Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting paint off tiles... (Read 4210 times)
Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Getting paint off tiles...
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:16pm

Hi there,
I have to replace a bath in a bathroom which has had all the tiles painted with what looks like about 4 coats of gloss. It is an absolute mess because gloss is not meant for tiles and the quality of work is less than acceptable for DIY. They have painted the whole bathroom, including all the silicone and taps etc. The bath that is coming out is a corner bath and I am going to fit a standard bath in it's place. This will mean that the lovely paintwork will be disturbed and there will be sections which will be exposed that have never been painted.

I would love to rip the lot out and start again but the customer is not willing to pay for a re-tile (rental property). This leaves me with a dilemma, I need to try and make it look acceptable, so I somehow have to try and match the paintwork (I could call Mr Bean to do it with his stick of...) or do something else? I was thinking of stripping the paint off the tiles about 2 tiles up from the bath (Nitromors or similar) and then painting them properly with tile paint (I hate painting tiles!). I would strip all the paint off all the tiles but the bathroom is tiled floor to ceiling on 3 sides and budget does not permit.

Any ideas? Will Nitromors be ok on tiles and grout? ROLL ON THE DAY WHEN PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY TO HAVE THINGS DONE PROPERLY....
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2009, 10:27am by zambezi »  

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Getting paint off tiles...
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2009, 6:04pm

You could change the bath and leave the tiles for him to sort.

Nitromors will shift it but is the job going to look even half decent when you have finished?

To many people want half a job done; stuff them I say Grin

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2009, 9:03pm

There is a catch with leaving it for the landlord to do because he lives abroad somewhere and I am doing the work through the lettings agent.

If I did not have rent to pay, I would tell them to find some cowboy to do it. I don't like bodging jobs and I have walked away from a lot of jobs where the customer or builder wants to bodge/cut corners. For now I have to bite my tongue and do what they want  Cry Cry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2009, 8:48am

I would tell them the paint will come off and look unacceptable. Let them decide.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2009, 10:30am

I don't think any of us envies you the task!

Until I saw that the bathroom is tiled on THREE walls my choice would have been to just use cheap tiles and tile over what's there, but that's not an option here. As it's a rented property I'd just sand it all down and paint the tiles with a colour I like because I can only imagine the mess you're going to have if you try stripping it down. You're gonna have a situation that will probably look even worse unless you're prepared for the hassle of chasing out all the grouting and stripping out the silicone.

IP Logged

sparxxxx

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2009, 7:06am

Take out old bath as carefully as possible. Then make a framework to contain new bath, say 50mm to 100mm lip on the sides adjoining painted tiles. Fit bath and tile over the lip, silicone seal gap between your new tiles and the painted tiles.

This way you do not interfere with the paint work, and your good work can be easily recognised.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print