Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 3:04pm
Quote: A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do silver and earth tones mix? (Read 4526 times)
caroln242
GDPR opt-out

Do silver and earth tones mix?
Feb 19th, 2009, 12:15am

I plan on totally redecorating my bathroom.  I have a modern style brushed nickel wall light that I LOVE and would like to keep, but I also love the earthy brown/beige tones in ceramic floor and wall tile.  Is there any way to incorporate both the silver and brown tones in the same room or should I scrap the wall light and just go with the earth tones?  Or keep the light and try to find tile with gray in it?  If I go with gray and silver, can I use a brown wood vanity or do I need to go more modern, like black?  I just can't seem to visualize this room at all.  Thank you in advance for ANY ideas.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Do silver and earth tones mix?
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2009, 9:31am

I use google image search to help get ideas....

http://images.google.co.uk/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=bathroom+&btnG=Search+Images...

I'm actually trying to find a nickel finish bathroom wall light (eg not brushed stainless steel or chrome passed off as nickel). Any chance you can tell us where you got you light so I can take a look?

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2009, 9:31am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

caroln242
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2009, 1:36pm

Thanks for responding.  I bought the light at Lowes, which I don't think you have there in UK.  

I have tried the Google image search and got a lot of ideas, but not about my color dilema.  I just need other opinions on this...I hate the idea of making a mistake when spending this kind of money.  And I can't even get started until I have the color scheme set in my head.  I'm having "Decorating" block!!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2009, 4:03pm

Hi caroln

we are talking about taste really and what one person likes, someone else might not. Colour in decoration is a minefield, just watch the so called experts on the television.

The earth tones are pretty inoffensive, no one would use your bathroom and say 'love the earth tones.'  The choice has to be yours.

Can you not take the light to the tile shop and hold it against the tiles, or get a couple of sample tiles to bring home and put in the bathroom.

Personally I think the earth tones in bathrooms are a little bit passe now. There are a couple of tilers on here who would know what is popular in bathrooms at the moment, let's hope they will see your post.

Don't rush into it though, it's not like wallpaper, your going to have it for years.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2009, 9:37am

If it's any help we have polished nickel taps in a wall covered with travertine mosaic and oak floor...

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

caroln242
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 3:19pm

Since I bought the light at Lowe's Home Improvement store, I can actually just carry a few tiles from that department over to the lighting section and see how they look together...good idea!  But I'm still on the fence about what style vanity.  I definitely will be taking my time on this...it will probably take me months just figure out the color scheme and style.

Earth tones are no longer in style?  I've seen a lot of that new colored glass being used on TV lately, but that stuff is very expensive!

Thanks to all for your thoughts!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print