Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 8:41am
Quote: My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trouble with Ch15 Digital TV (Read 21021 times)
Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Trouble with Ch15 Digital TV
Apr 13th, 2009, 10:35am

Anyone any idea why we can't get channel 15 on the digibox?

We have digital built-in on the TV itself but found that we could only record what we were watching and so had a guy in to set up the digibox to record what we weren't watching!!

Fine for a while, but now channel 15 has disappeared off the digibox, although it's still there on the TV.

I've gone through the auto setup menu but that has no effect at all. So where's it gone all of a sudden?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: Trouble with Ch15 Digital TV
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2009, 8:03pm

Unfortunately what's on preset 15 can be different depending where you live and how the autotune facility on your TV set things up. What TV station is normally on preset 15? (in many areas it's Film 4). Also do you know which transmitter you aerial points at?  

It's unusual with digital to loose just one preset channel so check which others are missing.  With digital TV one frequency (Transmitter channel) carries a whole set of TV channels. The set is called a Multiplex. If there is a problem recieving one frequency you normally loose all the channels in that multiplex as well.

For example in my area (Sandy Heath Transmitter) preset 15 is normally Film 4 which is part of Multiplex D.  Mux D also contains..

12 Yesterday, 15 Film4, 18 4Music, 20 Virgin 1, 21 TMF, 22 Ideal World, 25 Dave ja vu, 27 ITV2+1, 41 TOPUP Anytime4, 43 Gems TV, 45 Lottery Xtra, 85 Russia Today, 711 The Hits radio, 713 Kiss radio, 714 Heat Radio, 715 Magic radio, 716 Q radio, 718 Smooth radio, 722 Kerrang! radio

Are any of those also missing or unreliable?

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2009, 6:03pm

I give up then. Just checked through the lot and the other missing channels (in addition to 15) are

...so the mystery deepens.

The digibox comes off the same aerial as the TV (with the built-in digital) and connects directly to the DVD player/recorder.

Like I said, it worked fine until a couple of weeks ago, which is when we last recorded a film off channel 15 (Film4).

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2009, 11:17pm

Ok my guess is that Mux D is weak. It's possible that the reciever in the digibox isn't quite as sensitive as the one in the TV.

Care to give us your postcode so we can look up your transmitter?

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2009, 9:28am

Postcode PM'd to you Cwatters. Did you get it?

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2009, 9:45pm

Sorry yes I've been away visiting and only had rushed access on family PC.

The wolfbane site..
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?
suggests you aren't in a great location for digital TV. There isn't a transmitter it considers "local" but if you select the "distant" button it lists the Wrekin East transmitter which is a small 1-2KW transmitter. Is that where your aerial is pointed?  To recieve signals from there it predicts you would need an "Amplified extra hi-gain". eg A big aerial with a mast head amplifier might be required. Even then recieption might be a struggle depending on local conditions.

Here is a commentary on the Wrekin transmitter...
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SJ628082
Scroll down and you can see that that Mux D (containing channel 15) is probably the weakest Mux so perhaps no surprise that's the one you say is most unreliable.

It's a job for a good aerial man but he may get up there and say they can't improve matters.  If you already have a high quality aerial installation then I suspect Mux D might come and go until the transmitter power is increased after analogue switch off in 2011.

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2009, 9:53pm

PS: Just noticed that if you enter 20 meters for the aerial height it suggests the Sutton Coldfield transmitter might also be an option but even weaker than Wrekin.

Conditions can vary from house to house. Wolfbane says I also need an Amplified Extra high gain aerial to recieve my transmitter (Sandy Heath) but I get away with an aerial in the loft which definitly isn't recommended and it points through trees. Basically I get far better recieption then my installation deserves.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2009, 8:41am

Thanks Cwatters.

The aerial is the proper digital one, fitted some time ago when we first got the digibox that now serves the DVD recorder. The TV is a 42" super-duper plasma screen and the digital reception on that is superb.

I do, however, think that you're right about having the aerial re-aligned because this is quite a high building and the aerial is on the chimney stack and gets a belting from high winds and checking it visually this morning it does look as if it's dropped from the horizontal.

Difficult to tell which transmitter it's pointing at because it's only a few degrees between Wrekin and the Sutton Coldfield one, but the engineer will sort that. When we were in town the normal TV came from Sutton Coldfield, despite Wrekin being closer, because the SC signal was that much stronger, better even than the smaller repeater at Knowle Sands which was only a mile and a half away. If you looked at the alignment of all the aerials in the immediate vicinity they all pointed in one of THREE directions.

Like you say, so many environmental factors are in play!

Thanks again.

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2009, 11:10am

just a thought

i wonder if the digiboxes are interferering with each other !!!
i had 2 and wanted to place them side by side daisy chain style and even though the second box had only scart output it still interfered the other box
even disconnected the second box both end and just pluged in the mains that caused interference
it is now in the next room with direct scart connection and its own ariel feed  but the telly is still daisy chained from the 2 vhs and the freeveiw via the ariel socket without a problem:Smiley

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2009, 1:24pm

My brothers digibox looses a few channels when his WiFi router is turned on.  He used to leave it on at all times, but now only turns it on when he needs it.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2009, 3:07pm

The television engineer who set it all up for us said they shouldn't interfere (which is actually not saying they 'will not' interfere) and, to be fair, channel 15 only disappeared some few months after that set up.

But one thing came to mind that seemed to back up what Cwatters said. The significance never registered before because we only rarely record off channel 15 and so the problem could actually have been present for some time before it was noticed, but channel 15 on the super-duper telly occasionally pixellates, indicating a weak signal, which would support Cwatter's initial diagnosis.

However, that said, we will disconnect the digibox and see if that improves the pixellation problem (although it's intermittent and short lived). The loss of channel 15 on the digibox isn't earth-shattering, just a pain in the proverbial.

Thanks guys.

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2009, 9:09pm

There are lots of possibilities... The TV band is pretty crowded and it was a struggle to fit in channel 5 everywhere when that was launched. Before digital roll out many TV engineers thought it would be impossible to do dual running of digital and analogue but actually it's working surprisingly well.

There can still be issues though. For example say you are pointing at Wrekin and it's broadcasting Mux D at 1kw on Channel 57. There might be another transmitter nearby broadcasting one of the old analogue channels on say Channel 56 but at 10KW or more.  The high gain aerial and amp you need for the weak signal from Wrekin might be swamped by the adjacent analogue transmission. The offending transmitter might be in the oposite direction to the one the aerial is pointing.

I'm not saying this is the cause (this is a made up example) but such problems do exist and most will be resolved when analogue switch off occurs. Personally I think a lot of people have already switched and they could have done it sooner.  After switch over all the digital channels change and that may bring new problems for some people who currently have perfect digital reception.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2009, 8:50am

We were tempted to go satellite but wouldn't know what to do with all the channels, we have a pile of recorded films/programmes still to watch.

Choice is the thing. When we're upstairs with the daughter and son-in-law we can see about 50 films on Sky, well, about ten seconds of each as they're blipped through! The only programmes that are watched from start to finish are football and that's on all bloody day whether anyone's in the room or not. The granddaughter comes down here for the peace and quiet!

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2009, 9:56pm

Perhaps try a Freesat box? If feeling rich take a look at the Humax Freesat HD PVR ("Foxsat" it's called).

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2008/10/humaxs-new-freesat-hd-pvr-rivals-sky-160215....

Last time I looked they were like hens teeth as there was a supply shortage.

Also one from Panasonic..
http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2009/02/26/panasonic-launch-duel-tuner-freesat-hd-pvr...

No Sky but no subscription either.

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2009, 9:58pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2009, 10:06pm

Excellent stuff Cwatters. What would we do without you?

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 2:50pm

I plan to go down the Freesat HD route as soon as funds permit...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 6:43pm

I am still with sky with sky+, but have been looking to upgrade to skyHD.  However, I have heard some bad things about their boxes giving hazy or blurry pictures on all channels, including HD.  A swap back to the sky+ box cures the problem.

This is even with just the HDMI lead used, and after sky have "setup your TV" (as they make sure the HD settings are correct and compatible).

I am also thinking of freesat to save £20 or whatever it is a month, but I hate change!  I am so used to the menu planner and styling of sky+ that it makes me not want to upset the boat!

In saying this, Sky are meant to be bringing out a new menu planner very soon for the HD and then the sky+/sky.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print