Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 7:45am
Quote: Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much - Oscar Wilde

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Line Problem on BT versatility phone system (Read 7246 times)
ProgrammerAndDIYer
GDPR opt-out

Line Problem on BT versatility phone system
Jun 19th, 2009, 3:42pm

Hi
I've got a BT versatility phone system and 1 of the lines isn't working.

When you plug the phone in it says initialising but then comes up with just time date and exit.  The line lights come on when a line is in use but there is no dial tone and you can't get a line.
The line is not disabled or locked in the versatility.

Lectrician.....saw you post somewhere else that you could help with a versatility problem, any chance you could shed some light on mine.  Would be much obliged.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Line Problem on BT versatility phone system
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2009, 5:28pm

So when you say a line isn't working, I assume you mean extension?

Does swapping phones make a difference?

The versatility system requires 2 pairs for a featurephone.  A master phone socket is recommended, as this allows SLT phones to be used aswell as featurephones, however, a featurephone will work equally with a secondary point.

In the main CCU, each extension port has a set of terminals - ABCD.  These correspond to 2516 at your socket.

A and B are a pair (of the twisted phone cable), and carry analouge voice to terminals 2 and 5.  C and D carry DATA for the screen and one touch keys etc, and connect to terminals 1 and 6 of your socket.

Can you connect a new master socket to the CCU temporarily with a short length of cable to test the CCU's extension port?  This will rule out cabling issues. This would be the first thing to do as this does not sound like a programming issue.  
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2009, 5:28pm by Lectrician »  

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ProgrammerAndDIYer
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:35am

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, sorry I did indeed mean extension.
The featurephone I'm using to test this line works fine on other lines, so the issue is definitely not at that end.

The extensions coming out of our CCU are cabled straight into a patch board for distribution over our ethernet cabling.  I have been plugging my featurephone (via pstn Master converter) straight into the patch board for testing purposes so there is only about 3 feet of cable between it and the ccu.
I also checked that there are 4 pins connected at both ends and all looks ok.  I am pretty certain that this extension has worked in the past so it seems unlikely that the wiring would actually be wrongly placed.
I considered that the wiring might be damaged so tried to reproduce the behaviour using a featurephone on a different line and individually taping over each pin on the connector then pluggin the phone in.  None of the 4 used connections, when individually disconnected, produced the same behaviour as on the faulty line.

Do you think it is likely that my CCU itself is faulty?

thanks again for your help

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:57pm

It does sound more like a dodgy ccu card, which is why I suggest you connect a master socket directly to the CCU to check.  Either that, or swap a known working extension with the duff one within the CCU.

It is post definantly not a programming issue.

Can you try an SLT phone in that port and see if it has dial tone, can ring another extension and rings itself when called?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print