Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 7:04am
Quote: To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk - Thomas Edison

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sky Pay once (Read 5499 times)
wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Sky Pay once
May 15th, 2009, 9:19pm

any one have any experience of this? it looks very cheap from what i can see.  But a bit wary of sky as a company after what i have been told by others.

Do you think i will be able to request a quad LNB to allow for future expansion? or give the bloke a tenner when fitting it and request on then?  Wink

All advice is at least two years out of date.
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Re: Sky Pay once
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2009, 9:31pm

A quad LNB doesn't exactly cost too much if you did need to change.

As to weather you will get a free one installed.......?

Some installers fit a twin or quad as a matter of course anyway as thats all they stock.

Most of sky's installs are sub contracted these days, so you could get anyone.  A good cup of tea and maybe a bacon sarny!

I am not sure what channels you get with the deal?  Is it not just the free ones?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2009, 10:15pm

I thought it was like normal freeview channels?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2009, 10:18am

There are two offerings from Sky. FreeSat and Pay Once. I believe the list of channels might be different so check.

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/pay-once.aspx
http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/freesat.aspx

It's possible that the EPG is also different (FreeSat EPG vs Sky EPG?) I don't know but I imagine that on the cheaper Sky Pay Once deal you might have to wade through all the sky channels on the program guide, most of which you won't have a sub for. This is done so you kow what you are missing. Perhaps set up a favorites list with just the free channels.

Aside: I worked in the industry 15 years ago and it was recognised then that the company who gets their EPG into the most houses wins. Back then the thinking was that it's like a PC operating system, the more people that have your one the better. Personally I think Sky haven't exploited the capability of the EPG as much as they could. How about adverts that keep playing until you press a button on the remote to switch back to the program? That and worse is possible if they wanted.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2009, 10:23am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2009, 10:28am

PS: Whats he doing with his left hand and is that why she has got a smile on her face?...

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/digital-switchover.aspx
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2009, 10:29am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #5 - May 16th, 2009, 11:29am

Both Sky options use the standard Sky box but the one is £74 (Pay-Once) and the other is £147 (Freesat). The cheaper one also comes with 4 months worth of Sky packs. Seems odd?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2009, 1:03pm

as zambs said it is odd the more expensive package u get less channels.

i thought it must be to get hooked on the channels u pay for and therefore become a sky customer.  

I have also read that you cant ever get through on the line to cancel the package so u become a customer that way.

I was therfore going to go for the more expensive package and not have to worry about canceling it. The reason i am going for it is i think its the only way to get any decent reception round here.  Seems really good value for 240 channels, probably cheaper than getting a local ariel man to sort it out.

All advice is at least two years out of date.
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2009, 1:11am

If you are going to shell out £147 then you may as well take a look at Freesat HD. At least that way you will get a couple of HD channels and they also do the receivers with hard-drives in them now, so they work just like Sky HD boxes (although they are not as cheap as the normal Freesat boxes). They should be adding more HD channels to Freesat as time goes by.
I think places like Comet, Dixons etc do the dish and installation for £80 and then you buy whichever receiver you want to. Most sat installers will offer packages as well, look in the yellow pages.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2009, 12:21am

Quote:
Both Sky options use the standard Sky box but the one is £74 (Pay-Once) and the other is £147 (Freesat). The cheaper one also comes with 4 months worth of Sky packs. Seems odd?

Isn't it obvious? they are trying to get you hooked on channels that you will have to pay a subscription for if you want to keep.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print