Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 9:45pm
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pouring Concrete under a floorspace? (Read 3335 times)
Tony Thompson
GDPR opt-out

Pouring Concrete under a floorspace?
Jul 18th, 2009, 4:34pm

Hello All

I'm thinking of having a real wood floor in my hallway and to stop it sounding hollow, like laminate on florboards often does, I am considering ripping out he floorboards and joists and filling the entire hallway space with concrete.

It will mean re-routing a few pipes and cables but I'm happy to do that. So if you can then imagine what is essentially a long thin space running from the front of the house to the back with 3 of the walls external and one an internal honeycomb wall supporting the walls of the lounge and dining room, I want to fill that with concrete and have the wood floor laid directly on top.

The questions I have are:
1.Would it be safe to pour that much concrete in the space? I'm not too worried about the strong external walls it's just the single honeycomb wall that concerns me.
2. Can anybody spot and problems with this idea?
3. What type of membrane should I consider and how should I prepare the area (apart form filling in the holes in the honeycomb wall of course)   Roll Eyes

The space currently under the floor is neglible at one end by the front door (250mm / 10" maybe) sloping away to maybe (600mm / 2') by the back door.

Would appreciate any advice, tips or steer that this community can offer.

many thanks

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Re: Pouring Concrete under a floorspace?
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2009, 5:55pm

Seems a bit extreme, Tony. If properly laid the wood floor shouldn't be noisy and will last for generations on the suspended joists.

If you're really that concerned with the noise of footfalls, you could always fit herringbone noggins between the joists to give the floorboards that little extra support.

The honeycomb wall gives a good circulation of air around the underfloor area which is what will make the existing floor last a very long time.

I'd think again.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2009, 6:22pm

It sounds a lot of work with potential for problems down the line. Plus a hardwood floor laid on concrete will not necessarily sound solid as it will depend how you are planning to fix the new floor down.

I agree with joiner, but as well as bracing the joists, I would screw 22mm flooring grade t&g chipboard over the joists, run a thick bead of flooring adhesive under each new board and then use tongue-tite screws, or a Portanailer to invisibly fix the floor through the tongue.

IP Logged

Tony Thompson
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2009, 6:45pm

Thanks for your advice - the bracing idea would probably do it. I think I may do that instead.

I just recall I house I lived in once that had a parkay floor that felt so solid - I assumed it must have been laid on a concrete base because even when wearing shoes there was no discernable noise. Compare that with my current neighbours house (I can hear them from next door when they pace up and down) who have laminate on floorboards and I'd convinced myself that a concrete infill was the only way to go.

Thanks for responding so quickly by the way  Smiley

Tony

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2009, 8:06pm

It sounds as if your neighbour's laminate hasn't been laid properly. If laid onto the 'underlay' specifically designed for laminate flooring (it's about 3mm thick and comes in a huge roll) there is very little noise, unless you're in a flat UNDER them and they're wearing Dr Scholl's! You're lucky you're alongside them.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2009, 9:46pm

Are the existing floor boards "real wood"? Perhaps you just need them resanded?

If you secret nail/screw and glue solid wood or 14-21mm Engineered wood properly it should be fine. It's mostly only thin laminate laid over concrete that sounds like thin laminate laid over concrete  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print