Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 10:52pm
Quote: The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No DPM in floor. (Read 5061 times)
Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

No DPM in floor.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 9:36am

I was asked to replace the vinyl in a kitchen, which is in an extension. When i took up the vinyl the floor was soaking wet. I left it uncovered for a week to see if it was just some water trapped under the vinyl or if there was rising damp. Every time it rains damp patches for in various places in the floor. My guess is they did not fit a DPM or the DPM has failed.

Question is what to do now?
I doubt the option of taking up the floor to fit a DPM will get the go-ahead.
Can I fit a floating floor over the top, with a DPM under the floating floor? I worry that the damp could start stinking after a while if it is trapped under the DPM. Also with that option I would have to remove the kitchen and re-fit it.

Open to suggestions...

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: No DPM in floor.
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:20am

Vinyl flooring is pretty waterproof so I think if it was going to stink it would have done anyway without a DPM.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:35am

Synthaprufe?  Mind you the floor needs to be as dry as possible which given our crap summer could take a while. <sigh> when will it stop f*****g raining?

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 3:46pm

detatched, semi, terrace... what sort of build (brick/block...fair faced/rendered) on the flat or sloped ground.... screed floor, or bare conc... or boards (chip or other wise???) ned these details to assist better..Zam...

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 6:02pm

The house is an end of terrace, Victorian (I guess not being from around this part of the world, I can tell you which tribal style a mud hut is built in  Grin). It is bare brick.
The extension is 6m long x 3m wide (all kitchen), also bare brick, to match the house. It looks like a screed floor but not sure, I have not tried to drill it.
Old vinyl was laid straight onto the bare floor and was not stuck down.
Any more info required squire?

I think I have photo of the floor somewhere I will post it if I find it...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:38pm

For it to show damp patches when it rains makes me think there is an underlying problem with drainage, possibly from the roof or perhaps the water table is very high and needs draining.

I think asphalt would be my preferred option, once I had sorted the cause of the damp, but that would mean emptying the kitchen.

I was working at a barn conversion last year and that had a lot of water under the vinyl, no smell either which was odd but that was caused by a leaking (under the concrete screed) central heating pipe. They told me to just put the vinyl back as they couldn't do with having the floor dug up. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:16pm

Leaky underfloor pipes are the most common cause of floor dampness in my experience.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:52pm

I will need to check but AFAIK the only pipes in the room (not even sure they run from the ground up?) are not on the side of the room where the worst damp patches are. I know water can travel but it is a 6x3m room, so it would have to travel quite a way.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print