Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:08am
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oak staircase (Read 4367 times)
prettyshop
GDPR opt-out

oak staircase
Jul 28th, 2009, 10:26am

I have a new oak staircase, but do not wish to use a varnish to seal/finish it. I have heard about various oils/ waxes but can anyone recommend what I should do?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: oak staircase
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2009, 10:48am

Osmo polyx hard wax oil frequently recommended and is what we used. I'm told that if you do ever have to repair/recoat a worn part the repair doesn't show up anything like as bad as it does when using varnish like products. Been in two and a half years and seems ok - we have two 7 year olds testing it for us. We used the standard "clear" version but they do colour tints if you need to match something else like an old oak floor.

http://www.osmouk.com/osmopolyx.cfm?chapter=29

Wait for other recommendations as I'm not a professional.

PS: We're not exactly the house proud type. Cleaning is infrequent at best. The only precaution we take is to put a mat under my office chair which has casters. Watch out for little stones carried in on bare feet then rolled into the floor by casters or trodden in by people in shoes. This sort of damage will occur whatever finish is used. Fact of life with a wooden floor/stairs. Fortunately it doesn't really show up much.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009, 10:55am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2009, 3:11pm

1stly, welcome to the forum prettyface...... 2nd, is it light or dark oak, and do you wish to keep it the colour it is.....???

and 3rd..CW, build a porch and get everyone to take their shoes/boots off out there!!!! Simples!!!!!!!!!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2009, 4:24pm

Hi - sounds like you share similar views to me. I hate the colour of wood being adulterated by coatings but recognise that they do need sealing etc. I prefer any of the acrylic seals such as Aquacoat SP from Smith and Rodger. It's the closest thing I've found to keeping the original colour and not colouring it orange like most other stuff.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print