Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 6:21am
Quote: Earth first! We can strip-mine the other planets later.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boiler options (Read 2578 times)
query
GDPR opt-out

Boiler options
Jul 29th, 2009, 11:57am

Hi,
I'm in my newly built bungalow for approximately 18 months.  I have an oil range that caters for all the cooking, heating and hot water, however I am finding this quite expensive to run.  I have not yet installed a fireplace in either the living room or the sitting room (where fireplaces are back to back).  Would it be a big task to have a back boiler fitted in the fireplace in the living room?  Or is there a better option. The living room is only across the corridor from the hot press and the flooring in the hallway is not yet complete.  Any advice would be very welcome.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Boiler options
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2009, 3:26pm

Not sure about oil fires but gas fires with back boilers have tended to be very inefficient. I thought most/all had been discontinued as they wern't available with condensing flues needed to meet building regs.

Perhaps look at installing a regular oil boiler somewhere else? I think Grant do some designed to be installed outdoors if space inside is a problem.

I take it you don't have mains gas as that would be my choice if available.

Another option might be a wood burner with or without back boiler. They work well but you need to be the sort of person who like feeding and cleaning them.

Solar panels might also be worth considering of you have a south facing roof.

Oil prices shot up last year so perhaps that's why it seems expensive? Prices have since come down a lot to the point where oil and gas are comparable again. See Price per KWH inc boiler efficiency....

http://www.nottenergy.com/energy-costs-comparison3

Allways shop around for oil, never sign up for a top-up scheme. I usually get a quote from Boiler Juice then shop around 6 local suppliers. I've never found BJ to offer the best price. I normally find I can haggle the price down around 5%. Ideally you want to buy at least 900L at a time but don't run the tank so low you need an urgent fill up.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009, 3:28pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2009, 4:43pm

Even better...how well is your bungalow insulated? Far better to improve that if it's needed.  Warmflow do a good external boiler.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2009, 12:48am

Yes there are ways to combine the two, but don't know what is available in Ireland.

have a look here.

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print