Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 9:38am
Quote: I almost had a psychic girlfriend, ..... but she left me before we met.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
wood burner for 10x12ft workshop!!! (Read 17313 times)
big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

wood burner for 10x12ft workshop!!!
Aug 14th, 2009, 3:47pm

been saving wood to fuel a new stove i want to install in my shed
its a lightly insulated shed and all the charts i check say 2 to 3kw for the size so i thought 4kw minimum
i have an area roughly 27"x27" with between 6ft9" to 7ft6" to the underside off the roof that is 18mm ply with 3 layer tarred felt on top
the floor is 18mm ply
the sides in the area are 12mm mdf/ply

any suggestions as to setup make model suppliers on the net
ideas for the base i thought 2x24" slabs laid on sand
i am assuming the i will need to protect the walls as a stove in a 27" alcove wont have enough clearence !!
jason b was kind enough to assist me a year or so ago but because i am nolonger with aol the links jason gave me dont work as the try and open via aol

it would be nice if it can burn sawdust but not if it adds anymore than £50 to the cost
i am hoping to do this for around £250- £300 materials only stove pipes roof plate cowel ect

any ideas anyone please

its in this area where this saw was stored it can be from the corner in the alcove at one end off the saw to the doorway at the other end that at the end off the worktop just out off veiw
all the worktop in the area will be removed as and when required
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop0...
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009, 3:56pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Re: wood burner for 10x12ft workshop!!!
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2009, 5:42pm

Al, you're gonna have those doors open all winter you'll be so hot with that size of stove!

Have a look at the little pot belly stoves that Machine Mart do for very little money, then look around your local builder's merchants for the fireproof board that costs an arm and a leg but which I can't remember the name of - it comes in 8' x 4' sheets and something like 9mm thickness and weighs a bloody ton. I lined my chimney hearth with the stuff and made the register plate for the chimney out of it.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2009, 6:10pm

There are lots of guides on the web on how to make a wood burner from an old 15kg gas bottle...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=how+to+make+a+wood+burner+from+a+gas+bott...

Even some courses but they are circa £60.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2009, 6:13pm

I've just spent £150 on 10 sheets of 50mm Kingspan to insulate the ceiling of the workshop, seems to have made a big difference although we will need colder weather to know for sure. It has made a big difference to the amount of noise that escapes from the shop which has come as an added bonus. Perhaps you could insulate more and get a relatively smaller stove as Joiner suggests?? If you quickly heat up a very cold workshop you will get condesation forming on all your tools and especially any cast iron.

This place is worth a look;

http://www.thehotspot.co.uk/

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2009, 7:05pm

When I had the workshop down the Corvedale back in the eighties I had no heating at all. There were days when I had to get the gas torch fired up and played on all the metal to make it bearable to touch. Funny thing was, when I broke the ice in the bowl I used to wash my hands in it actually felt WARM! That was back in the days when men were men. God, it was tough living on sixpence a week and bringing up two sons. Youngsters don't know they're born nowadays.

I've got a hot air blower now, but it's so bloody noisy I only use it to take the chill off first thing - the second thing spends the day freezing its cobblers off! Grin

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2009, 8:05pm

thanks chaps

the one in your link keith looks ideal it says 10 ft reqired for draw do you think it will work a 6 to 7 foot as i only realy want 60 to 80 percent cappacity and dont want 3 or four foot out the roof

the way i work at the min is
if the outside temp is going to drop below -2 i set a fan heater to frost set that keeps the temp above 3 degrees
if i dont have any gluing i work at 8 degrees if i have to glue then 11degrees or 3 more than minimum recomended
now it would be nice to work in 18 degrees but only to warm up after a bit off board cutting outside
i also am hopeing that i can damp it down at say 9pm and leave it on all night to keep the chill off

dont realy think i could make my own as i dont have many metalwork tools left Roll Eyes
thought about machine mart  but they didnt do delivery

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2009, 8:15pm

If they say 10ft you will need that for it to draw air, otherwise it may not burn properly and smoke like a chimney!!

You can project the flue through the roof the extra couple of feet.

I have an oil filled raditor set as a frost protector, safer than hot air heaters I believe.

I like to work at 18 degrees that is because some glues want to set at 18 degrees, that is my excuse and I am sticking to it Grin boom-boom,

Beat that one Wolfie Wink Cheesy

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2009, 8:29pm

the trouble is keith the floor level to half way up the roof slope outside is only 2.2m minus  the stove at say 700 = 1.5m so that requires 1.5 out off the roof  Embarrassed Embarrassed was hoping for just 2ft  Grin

the shed was designed with minimum hight externaly maximum internaly at around 6ft 4" so the last thing i want is a chimnie over 5 foot out the roof that would incidently require planning Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009, 8:33pm by big_all »  

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2009, 9:15pm

Then in the words of the poet, Al, you're f***ed.

Although quite why planning would give a monkeys dick about the height of a chimney sticking out of the roof of a shed I don't know. As long as it's not going to be depositing stuff on the neighbours and filling their bedrooms with smoke is anyone really going to give a toss?

I can't understand why it's all getting so technical. As long as you have a source of draught for the stove it'll burn and for something the size of your workshop it won't be working very hard. I doubt you'll get one of a small size that'll keep going through the winter's night though. That said, I genuinely can't see one of those little pot bellied things taking that long to get your place up to around the equivalent of gas mark 6. Your problem's going to be staying comfortably COOL because regulation to a steady temperature simply isn't on the cards on something simple enough to burn offcuts.

When I worked in the carpenter's shop at the mill we cut a square hole in the end of a 50 gallon drum and hinged a square of mesh over the front and put lengths of stainless ducting up through the roof for a chimney. We were constantly opening and closing the double sliding doors (and they were barn-door sized doors) to regulate the temperature. At break times we had so much wood burning in the thing that it glowed pink. We looked like a bunch of red Indians when we got up.

Simple is best and just don't tell anyone. Not even the fire brigade, they'll know soon enough! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2009, 10:10pm

nah theres lots off scope i recon if i can get away 8ft  is then i will be below the 4m applicable at the time off building but still 3 foot out the roof

although i have looked as several stoves/flues and thats the only one that mentioned any length

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2009, 6:49am

big_all wrote on Aug 14th, 2009, 10:10pm:
nah theres lots off scope i recon if i can get away 8ft  is then i will be below the 4m applicable at the time off building but still 3 foot out the roof

although i have looked as several stoves/flues and thats the only one that mentioned any length

With the others it is only when you have bought it and are reading the instructions that you find they need a 14 ft chimney Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2009, 10:22am

MM do deliver and they have a sale on at the moment...
http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBKgpByAbiDs8B7upMz-b-8cN-$/?email=zambezi101@h...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2009, 12:01pm

And some food for thought:

These all reckon to use wood chippings/sawdust as well as paper…

http://www.mygreenerhome.co.uk/recycling-waste-9/dry-paper-log-maker-391.html

http://www.mygreenerhome.co.uk/recycling-waste-9/paper-briquette-maker-395.html?...

http://www.allthingsgreen.net/marketplace/recycled-waste-logmaker-p-443.html?_$j...

And some comments from a BBC site on environmental issues:

Brian Wilson comments on the release of micro particulates (fine particles) from wood stoves. While most stoves produced in the UK do release particles, the USA has introduced legislation to have catalytic converters fitted to their stoves, these can be purchased in the UK. The down side to a cat, is that as the stove needs to run hot for the cat to work, these stoves rarely have a boiler of any real capacity fitted. Wood burning stoves have a place in the scheme of things, especially when the wood burnt would otherwise go to landfill or be burnt on a bonfire. Think positively and smile more! Every day in some little way I get a little greener.

Woodcrafts, Staffs. 2009-01-21
Do NOT try burning sawdust in a woodburning stove! It is too fine and extinguish the fire. Worse it can smoulder which releases the distillates in the wood, without burning them and they are probably worse pollutants than the CO2 released.
The bulk of timber waste is softwood, which burns very fast and is inefficient. The best wood for stoves are hardwoods, ash being the best, but they take much longer to grow. I seriously question the statistics for these stoves.

Baz, Shrewsbury UK 2009-01-11
We finished building our new house last year, it's in a semi rural setting with a resonable supply of wood available. I installed a 16kW wood burner with a wrap around boiler, this is connected in the return from the radiators before it enters the condensing gas boiler. A pump is fitted to the wood burner with a thermostat that cuts in when the water gets hotter than C.H. return. A by pass is fitted to the combi boiler to allow the water from the wood burner to by pass when the combi is not on.
The outcome is that on cold,not freezing days, the wood burner heats the radiators, when I get up in the morning the gas has heted the house, I light the fire and the gas cuts off on the combi boiler thermostat, gas saved, warm house to get up to.I know that the CORGI guys out there will not like the system and the stove makers wouldn't be too pleased, but it works, and how it works!

Meron, Ethiopia 2008-08-28
Biomass stoves are not readily available in stores around the world. I don't recommend burning wood to create a heating system, though it might lower the cost it nevertheless is one of the factors for chopping down of trees - resulting in deforestation.

Brian Wilson, UK 2008-08-03
Very concerned that emissions from biomass boilers contain levels of most hazardous pollutants fine particles, higher than oil and far higher than gas. There are in excess of 2000 peer reviewed studies linking exposure to particle pollution and consequent health problems and deaths with no safe level and WHO consider this the worst air pollutant and the EU have ratified a directive to reduce the existing level of air pollution. Biomass combustion produces fine particles mainly in the most dangerous size spectrum below PM2.5, straw apparently 80% submicron which allows access to the bloodstream. Biomass systems are known to be some 30,000 times dirtier than equivalent gas. CO2 is benign but sadly fine particles are deadly.

So, gentlemen of the ATT forum, we might as well all just stick our f***ing heads in the oven.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2009, 12:02pm by Joiner »  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2009, 1:56pm

keith all the ones with the wire protection  mention 3m  Roll Eyes

joiner dont get junk mail the total cardboard and paper is probably only 3 papers worth per week so not worth spending more than a fiver
besides the fire will only be used for 6 to 8 weeks a year the idea is to use up the offcuts/scrap wood

thanks zam i am hoping to go for a vat free day and get 15% off  Grin

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2009, 5:34pm

During the winter I take all my offcuts home to burn on the multi-burner, and that includes the timber parts of any windows I've taken out. During the autumn and spring months I keep it bagged up in the cellar for use on the chimonea, the girls in the stables also take away any 'spare' bags of the stuff for use on their wood burners. The guy who had the workshop before me used to charge them for it. Tight sod.

Wish I could have a pot bellied stove, but as my workshop is a rather ancient timbered barn surrounded by horses and hay, it's not a good idea.

And the view...

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #15 - Aug 15th, 2009, 5:53pm

The joys of living in Shropshire, but you are suposed to be keeping it  a secret Lips Sealed

My workshop is similar construction and I wouldn't risk a stove, I'd never sleep for fear of the lot going up in smoke.

So now I can't burn the sawdust either for fear of destroying the planet Roll Eyes

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #16 - Aug 15th, 2009, 8:22pm

I love that wavy guttering look  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2