Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 11:40am
Quote: A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re-Glazing Leaded Window. (Read 3693 times)
Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Re-Glazing Leaded Window.
Sep 29th, 2009, 12:12pm

Hi

I have had a leaded window repaired and now need to refit it into the door frame.  The leaded panel was originally retained by small round headed pins driven through the lead and then the gap between the panel and the door frame filled and painted.

I am proposing to use a mastic (silicone?) on the face where it meets the rebate in the door and then to use a paintable mastic or putty to seal the edge to the frame on the exterior.

I was advised by the repairer to rebate the panel into the frame a bit more as it was originally flush with the surface.

Any comments gratefully received.  

NB - Whilst the door is an external one it is well recessed within a Victorian porch so will not get wet.

If this is on the wrong place could a Mod please move it - thanks.

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009, 12:23pm by Bayden_Rank »  

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Re-Glazing Leaded Window.
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2009, 1:31pm

It sounds reasonable. Rout out a deeper rebate using a router with a straight cutter, treat the rebate with a sealer to seal the wood, clear silicone on the "inside" edge and then glazing putty on the "outside" edge, then when the putty has dried sufficiently give it a couple of coats of paint to match the door.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, I am sure others can offer different advice...

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2009, 2:45pm

you may if your lucky if theres enough surface to run on you could use a rebate[rabbeting] cutter with the correct size bearing you will probably require the shank to be out off the collet a few mm to much but should be ok

if not the trouble you will have to make up a template for the curves
you will also need a template for the strait edge as theres no room for a batton at the edge

you will probably get away a template  around 2/3 width then flip for the other side
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009, 2:54pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2009, 5:12pm

Hi - Just an update. Thanks for the suggestions. In the end I deepened the rebate using my trusty Fein Multimaster as I felt making a template was a little like hard work - that and the fact that my garage is too much of a mess for me to reach the bench. So rebate increased and cleaned up I primed and used silicon to bed it onto and putty to finish off.

All now sorted with a reinforcing bar across the centre to stop it bellying in the future.

No new photo as it would not show any more than the one above.

But again many thanks for your suggestion and more importantly for giving me the confidence to give it a go.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print