Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 12th, 2024, 2:57am
Quote: A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alteration of Chimney breast for a range cooker (Read 7070 times)
leachs4
GDPR opt-out

Alteration of Chimney breast for a range cooker
Dec 7th, 2009, 9:22am

Hi,
Can anyone give me a guide on an idea, Current i live in a 1912 terrace house which has a large chimney breast in the kitchen there is the existing hole where i assume the fireplace was. I would like to make this hole bigger and put in a solid fuel range in the chimney.
I know that there would have to be extra support added to the chimney if the hole was extended but before i get a builder to quote i wondered if anyone can provide some advice.
The chimney breast is 1.2 meters wide the smallest range i can find is 850cms plus you need air gaps down either side.
Would/ Could the amount of brick work be enough to support the chimney if extra reenforcement was added.

Thanks

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Alteration of Chimney breast for a range cooker
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2009, 9:36am

Not 100% sure I get your drift?
You can fit a lintel into the fireplace and remove the brickwork below it (not literally but your builder or cooker supplier will know what to do).
It is much the same as fitting a new doorway or window opening, you fit a lintel and remove the brickwork below, the lintel supports the brickwork above.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Alteration of Chimney breast for a range cooker
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2009, 11:56pm

I think he's worried about making the opening too wide leaving little for the lintel to rest on...

Presumably the chimney is made from 4" (100mm) wide bricks so it might be possible to create a 1000mm wide opening (eg 1200 minus 100 each side = 1000). That's provided the bearing area for the lintel is sufficient and in good condition after 100 years.

I believe this job would be notifiable under the Building Regs and if you plan to DIY they might want the lintel and any pad stone design justified by an SE.  

Perhaps take a look at the Britannia range. We have one installed between MDF kitchen base units with no air gaps required at the ends. Our house hasn't burnt down yet. They do them in 90cm.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2009, 11:56pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print