Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:32pm
Quote: There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trend T11EK or DeWalt 625EK? (Read 12407 times)
Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trend T11EK or DeWalt 625EK?
May 17th, 2010, 8:40pm

I've been deciding on a new router for some work I want to do and narrowed my search to one of the above.

I know that they are essentially one and the same thing, just with different livery on, but are there any differences between the 2?

As far as I can tell the only difference is the price and that the T11 has the height adjuster accessible from under the base, but the DW625 doesn't.

thanks.

Alex.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Re: Trend T11EK or DeWalt 625EK?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2010, 10:08pm

although they are "identical" i would choose the trend because they would make more effort to make there accesories a good fit  Roll Eyes
ok probabley no difference but you would expect trend bushes ect yto be "well fitted" to trend products

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2010, 9:41am

Googled both machines and, despite all the mention of their being "identical" (in one review it said "in all respects") the pictures show two VERY different machines!

I have SIX routers (a small 1/4" Dremel-type; two of the excellent little 1/4" PP 1020W - two of the same because I wouldn't be without it and so it's nice to have the spare there just in case; one 1/2" De Walt plunge router; two 1/2" with micro-adjuster depth setting - one Freud and one Triton.)

Regardless of make, don't buy ANY machine that doesn't have the micro-adjuster depth setting, and by that I don't mean the depth of PLUNGE, but the depth you set it at and lock it at. If you don't have that accurate set-depth facility you can be assing around for ages getting it spot on.

Those little PP machines (B&Q's own make) are a dream and an unbelievable bargain at under thirty quid and still regularly in stock. They appear to be unique in their size range for having the micro-adjustment depth setting. One thing about having the two is that one is set up for cutting hinges and the other for cutting the rebate for lock faceplates or window furniture - on a big job thats a real boon.

Ah, forgot about the seventh router! Another B&Q own-make, but no longer available. I think it was the forerunner of the 1020W. Rarely used, but because it has a base plate with a flat on BOTH edges it can be used to get right up against an awkward position.

The only machine that hardly ever gets used now is the plunge router! The one that gets the most use is the Freud because it's mounted in the router table and gets a REAL hammering.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2010, 9:42am by Joiner »  
IP Logged

mailee
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2010, 8:01pm

I am not sure about the Trend machine but I can recommend the DW 625 as I have one. I have had it for some years now and it has taken some abuse. (Been dropped more than a couple of times and still as good) I do have 9 routers I use for various jobs but go for this one hand held regularly. I do have one of the small Trend T5 routers but am not impressed with it. Many of the Trend accessories do fit the De Walt I have found.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2010, 9:48pm

have a few routers also, ranging from the B & Q ones (set for hinges, lock plates  etc) , DEWALTS,(621, 625 & 625EK)  Porter cables, trend  and a couple of FESTOOLS...

as for the TREND over DEWALT, the main difference is the quality of the bearings on the motor shaft and the main plunge shaft bushings ... 200% better quality on the DEWALT, as they use Phospher bronze shaft bushings, and tapered bearings on the 625EK (did when i bought mine about 5 years ago!!)

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print