Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 14th, 2024, 1:12am
Quote: People never say 'It's only a game' when they're winning.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tyrolean Rendering (Read 4313 times)
Chromium4
GDPR opt-out

Tyrolean Rendering
Jun 20th, 2010, 9:07pm

I am in the throes of repairing the Tyrolean rendering on my external walls. The patches are various shapes, two of the worst are on corners and are about 2ft by 1ft in area. A couple of weeks ago I saw some builders doing mortar cladding on a large garden wall. I could kick myself now as I didn't ask what fasteners they were using to hold the expanded mesh in place. What it needs, (and and so far this impossible to find), is a 2cm washer with a centre hole the dia of a masonry nail - impossible! If I try to hammer a masonry nail into a brick I end up splitting the brick. I can get the nail in by drilling most of the way then hammering the last 4-5mm into the drilled hole. Am I trying to do the impossible? Is the practical answer that we only hammer masonry nails into the mortar join? This is not always the best option when fixing corner beading and bottom edging. I'm also having to drill a small hole in the edge of my washers so I can nail them. I feel there's something I don't know here!

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Tyrolean Rendering
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2010, 6:20pm

Nail plugs?  Rawl plugs and stainless screws?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:42pm

Definitely rawlplug and screw using stainless steel washers and stainless steel screws.

We do this a lot and it works.

Use big washers, we use 30mm diameter with a 6mm hole.

Oh - and stainless steel mesh too.  Don't use any galvanised stuff outside, it WILL eventually rust.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:43pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chromium4
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2010, 8:09pm

Many thanks for the replies guys. I was beginning to think along these lines myself. It's good to be reassured by qualified tradesmen.
If you need any help with technology - especially computers just drop a line. That's my, (dare I say!), profession! would be glad to help.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print