Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 1:00pm
Quote: Alcohol and mathmatics do not mix. Never drink and divide.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDD recorder (Read 3178 times)
plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

HDD recorder
Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:40am

I'm after a box that can record from RGB scart (for copying from sky+) and allows easy copying of the recordings easilly to a computer (I don't want to have to burn DVDs for everything I want to copy).

Anyone got any suggestions for a good box?

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: HDD recorder
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2010, 9:25am

I can't help you specifically but I have a Panasonic which has half the TV listings page covered with advertising. Plus once it is recording you can't do anything else, its a bloody nuisance so I would avoid Panasonic HDD.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2010, 1:42pm

Allelujah....someone else who appreciates picture quality!  I think your problem may lie in the fact that RGB and SCART seem to be being phased out as new-fangled network stuff comes in.  I have a Sony HDD that will take in RGb Scart (also has built-in freeview) but not sure about the network connection. I'll have a check but not optimistic.

avforums.co.uk is a good place to post your question.

EDIT: Here you go ...quick Google... Sharp Freeview HD 320GB Digital TV Recorder.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2010, 9:16pm

Sky Box Office movies are copy protected but I think other stuff can be recorded on a PC with the right kit. See the post by "boosfuk" here. It's a bit dated (2007) but the basics will still apply...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17795641

Quote:
I've use the s-video output from a basic Sky Digibox for years and have great quality. The SKY+ boxes with s-video output should be the same (I guess you can only record from the single tuner that is showing on the TV).

You have 3 options for connecting to a PC
1. Composite - via a SCART to composite adapter (3 phono)
2. S-video - via s-video output of Sky+ box.
3. S-video - via a RGB SCART to s-video powered converter (£30+) and SCART adapter.

(2) is the best quality and easiest choice.

You have 2 options to received into PC.
1. VIVO or a cheap TV card. Not great quality as all encoding is done via software
2. Hardware encoder PVR card (e.g Hauppauge PVR-150 @£40ish). Great quality, accepts s-video input and uses virtually no CPU.

(2) is best choice though costs.

This is for live TV, I assume it is clear that recorded programs cannot be copied directly from the drive but can be played via the COPY option and recorded on the PC using the above (I've not tested that the s-video works for this as only used to copy to VCR via SCART).

Most good PVR software supports the above setup and also provide functions to automatically change channel etc. (with right hardware) to allow full unattended recording. I use GB-PVR - great software, but then do you want to turn your PC into a HTPC PVR or just copy Sky recordings across?

Hope this is of some use and I've not missed your point entirely!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print