Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 12:01am
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Texecom Veritas 8 Alarm (Read 11290 times)
greg
GDPR opt-out

Texecom Veritas 8 Alarm
Mar 12th, 2011, 3:54pm

I've been fitting an alarm as per thread title.  It has 8 zones, I am only using 2 of the zones, one for up, one for down with 3 remote keypads, one up, one at front door and one at back door.  

Can't see anthing in the instructions (although I could have missed it)but do I need to link out the other 6 zones that I'm not using?

Thanks

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Texecom Veritas 8 Alarm
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2011, 5:16pm

Yep, link then out.  The R8 does not allow you to program them as unused, I think the Excel does.

The panel usually comes with links fitted, they look like little U staples.

I would always advise using magnetic contact on the entry doors to initiate the entry delay, having the PIR's on inhibited entry is required.  This also works far better for exiting the building as the exit time delay is cancelled once the door is shut, allowing you to confirm alarm sets without having to wait until the exit time has passed.

Inhibited entry on the PIR means that the PIR will cause an immediate alarm when the system is set EXCEPT if the system is in entry mode - if some one comes in through a window, the alarm is triggered immediately.  If you open the door and then trigger the PIR, nothing happens, entry timer continues as normal.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2011, 5:19pm by Lectrician »  

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2011, 5:39pm

Thanks Lectrician.

There were no links fitted other than the tamper link.  After reading your comments above can I run the setup past you.

The system is as follows:-

Upstairs zone:-

Master bed x 1 PIR & x 1 keypad
Hallway x 1 PIR

Downstairs zone:-

5 PIRs covering entry points
x 1 keypad at front door
x 1 keypad at back door

The PIRs are daisychained and wired in series

I was planning on setting the upstairs zone to "guard" and the downstairs zone as "entry / exit".  Will this work set up like this?

Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2011, 8:30am

It would work, but you would be far better running all the PIR's on their own zones (7 zones), and then having the last zone daisy chained for door contacts.  

Set all PIR's to guard, except ones which can pick up movement on entry exit, these would be set to inhibited entry.

The mag contacts would be set to entry/exit.

It is considered bad practice to daisy chain detectors unless they are of the latching type (very old fashioned), the reason being you are unable to tell which detector was triggered and caused a genuine or false alarm.  Fault finding would obviously be a nightmare!

I would probably not put a keypad upstairs either - you usually have a keypad at the frontdoor/bottom of stairs, with a PIR covering this area (usually set to inhibited entry due to front door), this PIR then reverts to entry/exit when part set, and the door contacts revert to guard.  Th upstairs zones are ommited from the part set suite.

At night, you enter you code, and leave up the stairs.  The exit tone expires and the system sets.  Your safe upstairs with downstairs protected.  In the morning, you walk downstairs and the entry timer starts......

Part set entry/exit tones are quiet and can be muted.

IP Logged

greg
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2011, 9:46am

Thanks Lectrician.  

I daisychained the PIRs as that it essentially what the install guide showed but take your points.

Thanks again.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2011, 11:33am

The install guide just shows it to give you the option, should you have more than 8 zones.

Although, if you had more than 8 zones you would usually opt for a system that can be expanded to accomodate more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print