Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 14th, 2024, 11:23pm
Quote: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
smell in loft (Read 10575 times)
Mo
GDPR opt-out

smell in loft
May 2nd, 2011, 8:44pm

A smell resembling cigarette smoke builds up in my loft throughout the day. The smell descends into the bedroom at the far end of the house & nearest the loft door. It gets strong but disapppears by the morning. There are no electrics in use in the loft & no one in the house smokes. I'm at a loss as to what this could be.  
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2011, 8:46pm by Mo »  

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: smell in loft
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2011, 10:21pm

Mo wrote on May 2nd, 2011, 8:44pm:
A smell resembling cigarette smoke builds up in my loft throughout the day. The smell descends into the bedroom at the far end of the house & nearest the loft door. It gets strong but disappears by the morning. There are no electrics in use in the loft & no one in the house smokes. I'm at a loss as to what this could be.  

does anyone smoke in adjoining properties

do you have teenagers who may be secerately be smoking

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2011, 11:59pm

Leaking chimney or boiler flue? Potentially dangerous if that's the cause. Is it a detached house? Got a smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm?

IP Logged

Mo
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2011, 10:32pm

CWatters wrote on May 2nd, 2011, 11:59pm:
Leaking chimney or boiler flue? Potentially dangerous if that's the cause. Is it a detached house? Got a smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm?

House is a mid terrace.  I dont have a carbon monoxide detector. Which tradesman should I call out.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011, 10:21pm by Lectrician »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2011, 9:05am

No need to call someone. You can get battery powered CO detectors from places like Screwfix, Homebase, BnQ that are easy to fit. Tjhey are portable so can be moved around or taken on holiday..

Just one example from Screwfix (simpler/cheaper models also available)..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fireangel-7-year-digital-co-alarm/92361

Makers web site..
http://www.fireangel.co.uk/Carbon-Monoxide-Alarms/Products/CO-9D.aspx

As you are in a terrace it sounds like it's coming from one of the other houses. It's possible that the lofts aren't properly seperated.

Do any of the houses have the windows boarded up or the curtains allways closed? Could be one is being used to grow canabis?

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2011, 9:07am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2011, 10:35am

"Do any of the houses have the windows boarded up or the curtains allways closed? Could be one is being used to grow canabis?"

Grin Nothing like a bit of reassurance, Colin!  Grin

But I'd second Cwatters' suspicion that the common roof space is a bit too common. From the purely practical aspect of fire safety, each separate roof space should be isolated from its neighbour to prevent the spread of fire along the terrace via the roof spaces. Some insurances assessors used to check for this and made it a condition of accepting the business.

Making the roof space air-tight enough to just stop the ingress of the smells won't be too hard using insulating board cut to fit the gaps and sealed into place with expanding foam, small gaps could be filled with just a judicious squirt of the stuff. But leave your eaves free of obstruction.

In fact, if your roof is as open as it sounds there should be a free flow of air across the roof space from the eaves, surely sufficient to give enough air changes to dissipate the cigarette smell? It's probably that which is clearing the smell overnight. But check that there is good ventilation at the eaves, with nothing blocking them (like insulation)!

Meanwhile, get some draught-excluder around your loft hatch. The self-adhesive p-strip type is the best in a situation where there isn't much weight to bear down to make a really good tight seal.

Incidentally, if you have put down insulation in your loft space, did you also think to insulate the loft hatch? If not, come back to find out how - and improve the seal on it!  Wink

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2011, 3:26pm

Actually I'd be interested to know how others insulate loft hatches. Previously I've used expanded polystyrene. In my current house I have 3 storeys and the top storey is in 'loft space', so there are doors into the loft areas around the edges, I need to insulate these. Any ideas / suggestions please.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2011, 8:12am

Just to be clear. Are they conventional doors, TB, or actual loft hatches?

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #8 - May 24th, 2011, 12:52pm

Joiner wrote on May 22nd, 2011, 8:12am:
Just to be clear. Are they conventional doors, TB, or actual loft hatches?

They are just like midget doors, nothing fancy about them, only about 3' high.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gary Brooks
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2014, 10:43am

Mo wrote on May 2nd, 2011, 8:44pm:
A smell resembling cigarette smoke of mini e hose builds up in my loft throughout the day. The smell descends into the bedroom at the far end of the house & nearest the loft door. It gets strong but disapppears by the morning. There are no electrics in use in the loft & no one in the house smokes. I'm at a loss as to what this could be.  

I have been facing similar trouble..Plenty of smoking smell  in our house..DO you find any way to sort it out..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print