Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 5:12am
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving a Consumer Unit (Read 3818 times)
wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Moving a Consumer Unit
Feb 24th, 2013, 3:48pm

I have been asked about moving a consumer unit.
The existing unit is in a garage and quite high up on the wall.
The owner of the property wants to build on an extension, and would like to move the CU to the end of the garage.
Problem: None of the house wiring will be long enough.
What do the Professionals do in this circumstance - and I am assuming that re-wiring the starts and ends of the rings and all radials is not an option!
Can an industrial-style JB be used here?
Has anyone tackled this problem?
Any advice appreciated.

Thank User For This Post 22,CARRIAGE+DRIVE,+BIDDULPH View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Moving a Consumer Unit
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2013, 7:00am

An industrial joint box?  Like a plastic or steel enclosure with din rail and din rail terminals? You could use something like this, but it would need to stay accessible, so you may aswell just leave the CU in place instead!

Extending the cables with maintenance free joint boxes (or normal joint boxes if accessible) is the only quick and easy way.  Did one recently, but it only had 8 circuits, and it was pretty quick and easy as had a loft above.  What ever cables could not be re-routed, or fed from the other direction has to be jointed.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2013, 10:22am

Thanks for that.
Pretty much as I thought...
My advice to the owner was to leave the CU where it was and buy a small step to help reach it if needed!
Otherwise, an industrial Junction Box with DIN rail & terminals to suit is what I would have thought would do the job...

Thanks again.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2013, 11:17am

I'm not a qualified spark but have an electronics background.

Google seems to suggest that soldered joints might be allowed or at least worth investigating. I have some big soldering irons from the 1940's and pretty sure a well designed and made solder joint could be better than the original wire !

For info I also found ..

http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/18-1.htm

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2013, 3:27pm

As an apprentice (many years ago) I was taught to make joints in solid domestic cables using a wrap & solder technique.
The joint had to be mechanically good (tight) before soldering.
The joints were wrapped using smooth-jaw pliers, the copper was not allowed to be scratched or otherwise marked. In-line joints and "tee" joints were both taught.
The final proviso was that the core insulation had to be replaced to the same thickness as the original and then the outer sheath to the same thickness as original. Back in the day, this was done using self-amalgamating tape to build up with a final overwrap of PVC, stretched slightly as it was applied.
Ring terminations for the core ends were made using smooth-jaw round nose pliers (which I still have!).

I too own a 1950's vintage 150-Watt Henley-Solon Iron (brilliant bit of kit) I can solder 1/8" piano wire with it (model Aircraft) - god knows what I'll do when the element eventually fails....

All in all, it would be possible to do the jointing this way, but veeerrry time consuming. I have used "maintenance free" joints (crimped connections and resin potted) on cables up to 95 mm and 4 cores (I am a Maintenance spark in the North Sea), but again these are bulky and time-consuming.

If I can't talk the gentleman out of moving the CU, then I think I'll have to go down the Industrial JB route. Choice of terminal type will be important, so I'd probably opt for the barrier strip type if I can get them suitably rated, and make ring loops on the cores or Weidmuller SAK6 if not.

The link was interesting, so thanks for that!

I hold a current 17th Edition C&G certificate, even though the 17th doesn't actually apply offshore (Marine & Vessels regs apply out there, but we use 17th as "Best Practice")

It is, in truth, a situation I have never encountered, I was pretty sure the regs don't make any specific demands, so wondered what everyone else did.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print