Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:36pm
Quote: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wiring issues with a plaster ceiling rose (Read 6442 times)
Adamjohn
GDPR opt-out

wiring issues with a plaster ceiling rose
Aug 22nd, 2013, 5:03pm

I have a small patterned, ceiling rose, that I want to fit without losing too much central detail. If I cover the centre with a standard pendant and rose, I'll lose most of the feature. Is there a way of getting around this? Countersinking the electrics above the ceiling rose and threading through the cable? Or is there an option somewhere, to buy a small pendant and rose? I've searched all over and cannot find one!.......Buying a bigger rose is not an option unfortunately.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: wiring issues with a plaster ceiling rose
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 11:38pm

I'm not trade but...

I think junction boxes are meant to be accessible but I'd probably do what you propose. Test the wire is all working fine before you fit the plasterwork. Tie a knot in the wire first.

Perhaps drill and countersink holes so you can screw through the plaster rose into the ceiling joist. Don't over tighten the screws! Fill the heads but leave a slight depression so you can identify where they are later if you need to take it down.

Think that's what I'd do.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2013, 7:14am

Ordinary joint boxes need to be accessible, so if you have access from above you could fit a four way joint box above the ceiling and feed a wire down to the light. If you don't have access from above then you could fit a maintenance free joint box in the ceiling void and feed a wire out from that to power the light. Trouble is if anything goes wrong it would be a real problem as, even with CWatters suggestion, it would still spoil the decoration. So I think unless you are really competent with electrics I would get an electrician to fit the maintenance free joint box, it shouldn't be very expensive.

Plus, unless the light fitting is lightweight, you may well need to fix a hook in the ceiling from which to hang the light fitting. So you may need to fix a board across to hold the hook and keep it clear of the wiring.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2013, 7:20am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Adamjohn
Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2013, 10:57am

Many thanks for the suggestions and info.  I'll have a look above the ceiling and see what's optional.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print