Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 16th, 2024, 5:58am
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Light fitting + 4 cables + 11 wires = confused (Read 6000 times)
n00bie n00b
GDPR opt-out

Light fitting + 4 cables + 11 wires = confused
Aug 27th, 2013, 8:20pm

Hi all,

I recently tried to put up a new light fitting but feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew as I'm stumped.

The old fitting had no earth (it said double insulated on the fitting), they were tucked up in the ceiling, that was no problem. The surprise was when I removed the fitting to find this:

Just in case you can't see everything, it's four T&E cables (old colouring) but one of the cables is only using the live and earth. The cable that is using the live and earth goes back to the light switch, pictured:

As luck would have it, the photo I took of the cables still attached to the old light fitting became corrupted leaving me only with the after picture  Sad

My new light fitting is one of the push in types and has two holes for Live, two for Neutral and an earth screw.

One of the neutrals is carrying current, the other two aren't, how should everything be linked up to the new fitting? I've tried it with the two neutrals in neutral, the live neutral and the live from the live and earth in the live and the earth to earth but to no avail. I assume I may need to use one of the other lives but obviously not sure.

At the moment as I can't get the light working, the three lives are still taped together as they were originally, the three neutrals are taped together and the 'live' from the live and earth cable is on its own as this is the only way that the other lights in the room work. These lights  have a two way (I think) switch which is probably the cause of my problems!

Many thanks in advance for your help. My sparky friend has buggered off travelling as I usually harass him!

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Light fitting + 4 cables + 11 wires = confused
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2013, 8:45pm

All three blacks together in the new lights neutral.

The red on its own to the new lights live.

All earths together to earth. You must connect ALL earths to maintain continuity to the rest of the lights in the house.

You must have a second switch somewhere for this light by the looks of it?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

n00bie n00b
Re: Light fitting + 4 cables + 11 wires = confused
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2013, 9:09pm

Lectrician wrote on Aug 27th, 2013, 8:45pm:
All three blacks together in the new lights neutral.

The red on its own to the new lights live.

All earths together to earth. You must connect ALL earths to maintain continuity to the rest of the lights in the house.

You must have a second switch somewhere for this light by the looks of it?

Thanks, although I'm pretty sure I tried putting all the neutrals together and the red on its own to the live but had no luck

Yep the switch for the other lights has two switches on it, one for the other set of lights and one for the one I'm replacing, I think. I've never used it tbh as it's in a rubbish place so can't quite recall.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print