Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:41pm
Quote: My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people - Orson Welles

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hotel room style lighting (Read 777 times)
mills85

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Hotel room style lighting
May 1st, 2023, 8:00pm

Hi,
I’d like to have a switch at the bedroom door which will switch both bedside wall lights off or on with individual light switches each side of the bed which will switch on/off the light above.

I’ve tried to explain this in an email to an electrician who is quoting for work but have failed to convey what I want as I don’t know what correct terms are I won’t be at the house when he comes over to quote.

Thank User For This Post mills85  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Hotel room style lighting
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2023, 9:32am

I’m assuming you will want a central light controlled by a switch by the door plus two bedside wall lights each controlled by a switch by the door and a switch by the bed. For that you will need a 3 gang light switch by the door and two one gang light switches either side of the bed each controlling the light at that side of the bed. If you are not going to be there then clearly mark the walls where you want the switches and lights to be fitted.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Hotel room style lighting
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2023, 12:41pm

It's two way switching, or two way and intermediate to switch from more than one position.

It's common to have the centre light switched from the door and both sides of the bed, and then bedside wall lights switched either just at each side of the bed, or also from the door.

So you would have the centre light 2 way and intermediate switched (3 positions) and the wall lights 2 way switched (each). a 3 gang switch at the door, and 2 2 gang switches at the bed.

If you use Click Mini-grid, you can have an intermediate switch mixed with the 2 way switches.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print