Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 4:00pm
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LED Ghosting (Read 902 times)
Flashbang

I've been P'eeeeeeed

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

LED Ghosting
May 18th, 2023, 2:43pm

Using a dimmer and LED lamps I often find the LED lamps produce so called 'Ghosting' when Off. i.e. they glow slightly.  Today, my 25watt LED R7s tube arrived and was fitted to a Daughter and Child floor standing up lighter in place of the 150watt Halogen tube, in an attempt to save energy/money! But LED ghosting occurred. The same happened when I replaced two parallel wired ceiling light lamp fittings with LED lamps instead of the 6 x 40 watt filament lamps. Here I have had to replace one LED lamp in each fitting with a standard filament lamp, which immediately stopped the ghosting effect. See topic herehttps://www.askthetrades.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1646071303

It seems there are two fixes 1) Use a dimmer with neutral capacity or 2) Fit a special capacitor across the load. But this means several capacitors would be needed - one for each light fitting!  These are not cheap either.

Question...Is it a case now in the UK that having a neutral at the wall switch is a common wiring practice? I have always seen and used loop in wiring at the ceiling rose with just line and switched line being at the wall switch.  To add a neutral and a specal dimmer would involve a lot of work rewiring, chasing walls and the special dimmer costs!  Hardly any saving then!!  Angry

Or am I missing something??

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: LED Ghosting
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2023, 5:40pm

Decent branded light bulbs won’t glow.  Cheaper ones can.  The capacitor snubbers don’t need to go every fitting, just one per switch.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print