Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 7:27pm
Quote: A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fire barrier in floor (Read 6381 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Fire barrier in floor
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:48am

If you have a _first_ floor comprising...

Bedroom above
Screed + UFH
Insulation
Beam and Block
Battens and air gap
Plasterboard
Kitchen Below

Were exactly is the official fire break?

Specifically is it possible to insert downlights without fire hoods into the plasterboard and cavity between the concrete beams?

The downlights I want to use are larger commercial type (150-250mm round) and I'm not sure if fire hoods are available. .

Even if hoods are available there may not be enough void depth for both the light and the hood between the plasterboard and underside of the blocks (100mm).

There is no danger of the lamp itself overheating - I've checked that. It's the fire break rules I'm interested in.

PS: I'm aware the new regs don't allow me to install these lamps myself.

Thanks

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Re: Fire barrier in floor
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2005, 12:22pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1108550912/0#0 date=1108550912]PS: I'm aware the new regs don't allow me to install these lamps myself [/quote]

Even in kitchens or bathrooms there is actually no law preventing you from fitting the lights yourself. You just have to get the work certificated by the local council on completion, and you aren't allowed to issue the certificate yourself (actually even qualified and experienced sparks aren't allow to issue certificates unless they belong to NICEIC or similar).

I cannot answer your fire break question I'm afraid. At a guess I would say it is the plasterboard ceiling, but that is only a guess on my part.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2005, 6:59pm

As far as the depth for the downlighters is concerned if it is only 2x1 batten you will not have fitting room.
I do alot of plastering to hollow core concrete floors and the usual method is to anchor 2x2 to the concrete undersides and counter batten with 2x1 before slabbing, even then it is tight for lights.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2005, 11:11pm

Hi robbo,

There should be just enough void depth. The lamps seem to need between 85 and 100 depending on which make and our design should have 100mm dead (50mm between the beams + 38 mm Batten + 12mm plasterboard).

This is the type I mean. This particular one needs 100mm but it was the first to hand..

http://www.electriclightcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Mains_Voltage_Low_Energy_Downligh...

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2005, 11:14pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2005, 11:54pm

[quote author=HM  link=1108684274/0#1 date=1108556533](actually even qualified and experienced sparks aren't allow to issue certificates unless they belong to NICEIC or similar) [/quote]
Any Self-certification scheme mean's you can self-certify you're work to the new requirements, NICEIC are not the only puppy in the pack, and since when are we not allowed to issue certificate's, think you need read the legal document and check, couldnt find it myself
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2005, 11:57pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2005, 10:02am

Apologies LS - my understanding of part P was that the certificate had to be issued either by someone in NICEIC or other trade body recognised by government, or on application to the local council where I assume they will subcontract the job to an NICEIC approved spark.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2005, 1:53pm

Quote:
had to be issued either by someone in NICEIC

Nope, Im fed up of hearing the name NICEIC banded about like this..

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2005, 8:34pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108684274/0#6 date=1108734839]Nope, Im fed up of hearing the name NICEIC banded about like this.. [/quote]

What's wrong with you LS? Please stop misquoting what I said, which was:

"....either by someone in NICEIC or other trade body recognised by government"

If you are going to quote someone please do it properly. I find it very aggravating that you are so picky about these things.

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2005, 2:54pm

Competent persons self-certification schemes:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_60...

Part P Schemes (Electrical Safety in Dwellings)

(a) Full competence schemes

BRE Certification Limited
This scheme, operated with the support of the Electrical Contractors Association and the Institution of Electrical Engineers, is primarily designed for those whose main business is electrical contracting and those who wish to be able to self-certify all types of electrical work in dwellings. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information on this scheme see www.partp.co.uk

British Standards Institution
This scheme, which will be known as the Kitemark Scheme for electrical installation work, is primarily designed for those whose main business is electrical contracting and those who wish to be able to self-certify all types of electrical work in dwellings. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information on this scheme see www.kitemarktoday.com

ELECSA Limited
This scheme, operated with the support of the British Board of Agrement, is primarily designed for those whose main business is electrical contracting and those who wish to be able to self-certify all types of electrical work in dwellings. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information on this scheme see www.elecsa.org.uk

NAPIT Certification Limited
This scheme is designed primarily for those whose main business is electrical contracting and will allow its members to self-certify all types of electrical installation work in dwellings. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information on this scheme see www.napit.org.uk

NICEIC Certification Services Limited
This scheme, which is known as the Domestic Installer Scheme, is designed for those who wish to be able to self-certify all types of electrical work in dwellings either as an electrical contractor or as part of an ancillary trade activity. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information on this scheme see www.niceic.org.uk

(b) Defined competence schemes

These schemes are designed primarily for those who do electrical installation work as an adjunct to or in connection with their primary work activities - for example, gas installations, plumbing, kitchen or bathroom fitting, heating installation, security systems..

CORGI Services Limited

This scheme is designed initially to allow CORGI registered gas installers to be able to self-certify the electrical installation work they do in relation to the installation of gas appliances but will be open to others in other areas of work activity in the future. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information on this scheme see www.corgi-gas-safety.com

ELECSA Limited

This scheme is designed to allow members to self-certify the electrical installation work they carry out only within the context of their primary work activity. There is no restriction as to the type of primary work activity. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information on this scheme see www.elecsa.org.uk

NAPIT Certification Limited

This scheme is designed to allow members to self-certify the electrical installation work they carry out only within the context of their primary work activity. There is no restriction as to the type of primary work activity.The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005

For more information on the scheme see info@napit.org.uk

NICEIC Certification Services Limited

This scheme is designed to allow members to self-certify the electrical installation work they carry out only in connection with their primary work activity. There is no restriction as to the type of primary work activity. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information see www.niceic.org.uk

OFTEC (Oil Firing Technical Association for the Petroleum Industry Ltd)

This scheme is designed only for members of the OFTEC installation of oil-fired combustion appliance (including the installation of oil storage tanks and pipe) competent person scheme (see above) to be able to self-certify the electrical installation work they do only in this context. The scheme will begin formal operation on 1 January 2005.

For more information see www.oftec.org.uk

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2005, 10:45pm

[quote author=HM  link=1108684274/0#7 date=1108758840]

What's wrong with you LS? Please stop misquoting what I said, which was:

"....either by someone in NICEIC or other trade body recognised by government"

If you are going to quote someone please do it properly. I find it very aggravating that you are so picky about these things.

HM
[/quote]

It's nothing personal HM, but I am indeed fed up with hearing only NICEIC's name being mentioned, I will not stand by and let this go, it's ok for you, you're not in the electrical industry and don't suffer these problems, it's all a big game to NIC, they want people to think they are the god's and it's just not so, they are equal to all other self-certification schemes & good electricians, there getting away with far too much...
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2005, 10:46pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2005, 2:27pm

Here Here LS and btw HM theres no such thing as an approved NICEIC sparky. There is such a thing as an approved NICEIC company, but NICEIC companys make mistakes too. I have worked for NICEIC companies and found them just the same as most, some cut corners and they employ electricians who dont always do the work correctly same as all companies. What I am saying is what LS has said, the NICEIC is just a name but it doesnt give them the right to run riot and think they rule the electrical contracting industry.

As I have said having the NICEIC status doesnt make you a competant electrician or company, qualifications and experience do. There are some very bad NICEIC companies out there and there is some very good ones, but its the work force that gives you the status and keeps it for you, so in my opinion electricians are due more than they are getting at the moment.

To be honest in the light of Part P, the NICEIC will be finding out soon enough how good they are against the other schemes. They have had the monopoly for far too long and now there will be a change you watch. We all know who instigated Part P and how they use members enrollment fees to start up other firms like the electrical safety group and also for those who dont know>> NICEIC insurance.

Well the change is going to happen maybe you are No 1 right now but that will change.

T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2005, 8:05pm

you dont have to be approved to write a cert.

anyone can, but how much legal bearing it will have is questionable, if you have done 2391 and somone said "hey your qualified, you just havnt paid your cash to that body yet, your not allowed to write the certs out.......they are "incompitent"?

still qualified to that of the niceic bloke

maybe exeeds them

maybe more experience aswell

but hes incompitent cos he didnt pay to join....

unfortunatly no one in the govt would get far in any other industry cos they lack the ability to think outside the box

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2005, 4:26pm

Quote:
theres no such thing as an approved NICEIC sparky. There is such a thing as an approved NICEIC company

You can be an individual to go trough NICEIC registration, you just need to have a name for you're self  Roll Eyes
Quote:
now there will be a change

I remain cynical  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2005, 4:31pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2005, 12:43am

[quote author=supersparky  link=1108684274/0#11 date=1109707514]you dont have to be approved to write a cert.

anyone can, but how much legal bearing it will have is questionable, [/quote]
FHS - it is really quite simple.

Registration or not with one of the Competent Persons schemes has absolutely nothing to do with writing EICs, or any other certificate to do with BS7671 compliance.

People who are adjudged Competent Persons are allowed to self certify compliance with the Building Regulations, not necessarily compliance with BS7671.

The Building Regulations do not require compliance with BS7671.   Apart from using its definition of a "special location", and the details of where you can buy the Wiring Regs, the Building Regulations make no mention of BS7671 or the IEE Wiring Regulations (yes I know they are the same - what I mean is the Building Regs don't use either term apart from as described here).

As the Approved Document points out, compliance with BS7671 is merely one way of demonstrating compliance with the Building Regulations.

But as far as the Wiring Regs go, and the issuing of certificates, nothing whatsoever has changed.  Still there is no legal definition of who is competent to sign EICs, and still the wording reads

"I/We, being the person(s) responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my/our signature(s) below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, hereby CERTIFY that the design work for which I/we have been responsible is, to the best of my/our knowledge and belief, in accordance with BS 7671 amended to (date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:",

so all you're signing is a declaration that you've exercised reasonable skill and care, and that to the best of your knowledge and belief you've complied with BS7671.  So the "anyone can sign" is as true today as it has always been - if you could do it last year, you can do it this year.  

The legal significance of the EIC is unchanged.

Even if you are signing one this year because you are self-certifying compliance with the Building Regs, and you want to use the EIC as evidence that you've complied with them, there is still no legal definition of what qualifications you need to be able to sign the EIC.   It is the scheme operators that insist on 2381 & sometimes 2391, not the law.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print