Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 9:22pm
Quote: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How part P affects the public (Read 10732 times)
BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

How part P affects the public
Feb 22nd, 2005, 5:19pm

Hello to everyone

This is something that should of been told to you the public, and before the 1st of January 2005. For over a year now Part P has been put together by the Government, this affects all electricians and the public working on domestic electrical installations.

As of the 1st of January 2005 most electrical work in a domestic property or commercial property with domestic property adjoining, must be completed by a competant electrician on a Government approved scheme not nessassarily an NICEIC electrician. This is now law and if you dont follow the new rules, you might not be able to sell your house, can be fined, and more.

There has been alot of information about part P for electricians but very little for the public, this I feel is very bad for the public especially when the Government has said part P has been brought out for the publics safety.
The Government kept it very quiert and still are, for alot of reasons, its coming up to voting time isnt it thats one reason.

As I say very little information is being given out to the public and with good reason if only you the public knew, Well its time you did know. Have a look at your house insurance next time you renew it and look for details about the electrics in your home especially DIY and maintenance work. If its not certificated and you make a claim you wont get paid simple as that. Do you also know who is responsible for the electrical installation in your house, YOU ARE. If you employ an electrician to work in your house and they do unsafe work and or its not certificated you are responsible and can be fined.

Next time you go into a DIY store have a look round, are they giving you any information about Part P, Ive not seen any sofar. When you buy electrical parts or appliances from DIY stores, all they are interested in is your money, they give very little advice out and worst still, you can get most things cheaper in any wholesaler who sells to the public. You go to the DIY stores because they are open till late and parking is easy, but as I say you can get your electrical parts cheaper by far at most wholesalers.

The DIY stores dont give out much information except a fly sheet which usually says only the wires to install it. When you take that light home and take the old one down you will usually find 3 reds, 3 blacks, and 3 earths so do they help then no. There is a change coming into force by 2006 but is happening now, all electrical wiring is changing to new colours but did you know that either most dont. We are conforming to new european colours red will become brown, black will become blue, and earth stays the same. This is only single phase wiring I have mentioned but with larger installations there are changes too.

Also due to this new law you will hve to inform your local council building control if electrical work is carried out in certain cercumstances eg. kitchens, bathrooms, rewires, new fuseboards, exterior power and lighting and some other work. This is going to cost you if you employ a non competant electrician or do the work yourself. For charges please look at your local building control website or get intouch wth them. My local building control are charging £58.75 for work under £1000.00 £123.38 for work between £1000.00 and £2000.00 and £203.28 for between £2000.00 to £5000.00.

Due to this new law many qualified electricians will have to join a Goernment approved scheme which is going to cost between £500.00 and £1000.00 for one year, this is not including any other outlay like update courses and such like. So you see the price of electrical work within your home will be going up, and this is something electricians didnt want, but will have to do to comply with the new law. The future will bring higher prices and it will be harder to employ an electrician due to there will be far less electricians around to do the work. In time electrical work will be done by large companies who will charge high prices, as there wont be the local small businesses around who charge cheaper rates.

The point of this posting is to inform you of what you probably dont know, and how it affects you. So if you feel that the new law called part P is wrong please add your name to the posting called against part P and if possible also write to your MP, and maybe we can get this law changed. Spread the word and do what you can to stop this unfair law.

Regards to all BigT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Re: How part P affects the public
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2005, 6:37pm

[quote author=BigT  link=1109092777/0#0 date=1109092777]As of the 1st of January 2005 most electrical work in a domestic property or commercial property with domestic property adjoining [/quote]

Sorry, but that's not truthful. If "most" means in every area of the house then you are wrong. If "most" means that most electrical work involves the kitchen, bathroom or outside the property then you would be right.

Part P covers designated "wet" areas only. You can work on a socket in the lounge, but not in the kitchen.

And in fact you can still work on it in the kitchen, it's just that you then have to engage a competent person to write a certificate.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:04pm

Know where you're coming from HM, but just from my experience, most changes I've come across in domestic properties are where people buy new lights for the kitchen, bathroom or outside. Also get asked to do many 'shed power & light' jobs. Only other common, non-PartP, ones I get are to add extra sockets by the TV or computer, or else to add a loft light/spur.

Many folks may also want to install a new consumer unit so they can have an RCD on their sockets..... now notifiable under building regs. Now they'll leave the old fuse board in that bit longer as paying out an extra £200-£300 to notify won't make financial sense. It's not going to make them any safer.

I'd love to see something decent implemented to make things safer but this PartP as it stands won't do that. We need it changed... and pronto.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:05pm by Beanzy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:41pm

I agree with Heinz57. And I wasn't aware that a CU change was notifiable so thanks for bringing that to my attention (I don't do CU's so it doesn't affect me).

It's garbage legislation by any stretch of the imagination. But what you have to understand is that this isn't about safety, but about being able to control what once was a free and mobile workforce.

The thinking is that you make it harder to get work if you aren't registered. So you register despite your protest vote - or go out of business over a period of time as work dries up.

Then the Inland Revenue have this handy list of sparks that they can trawl.

Simple init?

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:08am

[quote author=HM  link=1109092777/0#1 date=1109097434]Part P covers designated "wet" areas only. [/quote]
Not the case...

[quote author=Beanzy  link=1109092777/0#2 date=1109099083]most changes I've come across in domestic properties are where people buy new lights for the kitchen, bathroom or outside. Also get asked to do many 'shed power & light' jobs. Only other common, non-PartP, ones I get are to add extra sockets by the TV or computer, or else to add a loft light/spur. [/quote]
That sounds about right

[quote author=Beanzy  link=1109092777/0#2 date=1109099083] It's not going to make them any safer [/quote]
I entirely disagree with that  Roll Eyes

[quote author=HM  link=1109092777/0#3 date=1109101298]Then the Inland Revenue have this handy list of sparks that they can trawl [/quote]
I'm really pleased you pointed that out, was worried that it had not come up in discussion, it's quite alarming how they can spy on us all, anyone and everyone trough different means, big brother for you..
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:16am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 5:26am

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1109092777/0#4 date=1109117329]
I entirely disagree with that  Roll Eyes
[/quote]

May have read wrong, but meant leaving their old board in place reather than getiing the local spark in won't make them any safer. Also many people actively avoid those with a Logo as they assume it means more costly..... which it does really.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:55pm

The main issue here is WHY ISNT THERE MORE INFORMATION FOR THE PUBLIC.

Why is it that only sparks mainly know about this issue, Why isnt more information on the TV, in newspapers etc etc. Especially when its supposidly all about safety which its not, its about screwing the public as we all know and not by electricians its by the Government.

Regards T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 1:01pm

[quote author=Beanzy  link=1109092777/0#5 date=1109136411]Also many people actively avoid those with a Logo as they assume it means more costly..... which it does really.
[/quote]
Yep, sure does, hopefully it doesn’t apply to you're name and details on the van, or a few people on here will be having second thoughts about there van advertising, don't want to put people off the little guys too..

[quote author=BigT  link=1109092777/0#6 date=1109163344]
Why is it that only sparks mainly know about this issue, Why isnt more information on the TV, in newspapers etc etc. Especially when its supposidly all about safety which its not, its about screwing the public as we all know and not by electricians its by the Government.

Regards T [/quote]

Well someone told me there was going to be advertising going on, but seems that's got missed or postponed..
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 1:05pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

JohnD
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 1:35pm

It was in the papers for a few days at New Year, and on Teletext - though I only noticed it because I was aware it was coming in.

JohnD

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 2:12pm

Exactly..

IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 6:14pm

Just been asked to do a quote on a barn conversion next week. The missus took the booking and the bloke told her apparently his existing spark isn't Part P reg'd "and isn't going to bother" (wey hey TT!). However the bummer from my point of view is that surely he wont need to be PartP, Q,R, S otT reg'd as the whole sheebang will be under regs approval anyway so his electrics would be covered by that. Now this is an area where non-reg'd sparks could be shafted by the mis-information going about.

Moral dilemma, do I inform the owner when I go by and risk blowing out the job by doing the decent thing? Probably will & just keep fingers crossed he likes the look of me afterwards. He'll probably think 'To55er' and try and pull a fast one on me, having pegged me as a 'softie'. Tongue

I haven't seen it yet so it may be more complex than the above makes it sound, may be all sorts going on I don't know about. But at leat I'll get to poke my nose in.  Undecided
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 6:14pm by Beanzy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dave.B

Why do people keep looking
at me funny?

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 6:50pm

Speaking as "a member of the public", I would never have known about Part P. The only reason I found out is because I have a passing interest and I do a lot of my own electrical work - hence I found out from web sites like these.

Also, nearly all of my friends that I have mentioned this to have reacted with a level of indignance bordering on anger ("It's my house, I can do what I want with it, you are talking rubbish" - directed at me).

People will still be carrying out their own work as long as they feel able (and in some cases not) purely and simply because they don't realise anything has changed.

I for one intend to carry on with the few jobs I have remaining (a few lights and sockets in the garden, lights and shaver socket in bathroom are probably the worst "offences" I plan to commit), but I do so knowing where I stand legally (i.e not!).

I also think it would be very difficult to prove that I hadn't fitted those lights and sockets last year.

Maybe in 20 years time when I fit my thought-controlled, holographic pond fountain I may not be able to convince people that it had been there since before 2005, but hopefully this madness will be sorted by then.

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 8:38pm

I can understand your indignation, DaveB, and I'm sure your work is up to scratch and to the latest regulations. Sadly, the vast majority of domestic electrical work does not come close. And just as the occupants of a house pay no heed to the state of the wiring ("It works, who cares how?") neither do buyers... until it's too late.

Every week I see examples of truly bodged work (by so-called professionals as well as by DIY-ers). Faced with the expense of putting it right or bodging still further many people opt for the one-more-bodge-surely-won't-make-any-difference approach. Why? Because it's electric, it's hidden and nobody's had a shock yet, etc...

Part P may not be everybody's idea of the right way to do it, but just as you are not allowed to remove supporting walls, install gas appliances and build extensions without some form of approval it is high time the domestic electrical installation industry came under the same sort of scrutiny.

How would you do it?

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 8:40pm by dingbat »  
IP Logged

Dave.B

Why do people keep looking
at me funny?

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2005, 9:18am

[quote author=dingbat  link=1109092777/0#12 date=1109191127]How would you do it? [/quote]

Point taken Dingbat. I don't know how I would do it TBH, but whatever way I chose, I would make sure it was widely publicised.
I think the main issue here is the lack of public awareness.

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2005, 9:36am

[quote author=Dave.B  link=1109092777/0#13 date=1109236728]I think the main issue here is the lack of public awareness. [/quote]

Oh, without a doubt. I believe a mass mailshot is planned for the end of March (I forget where I heard that). But, of course, it will be just like those "How to Deal With Terrorist Attacks leaflets that sit, unopened, gathering dust.

IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2005, 9:54am

[quote author=dingbat  link=1109092777/0#12 date=1109191127]but just as you are not allowed to install gas appliances without some form of approval [/quote]Actually you are..

Quote:
How would you do it?

For anybody who earns a living from activities involving electrical work, compulsory qualifications, e.g. 2381, 2391, something to demonstrate practical skills etc,  but with modifications to make them more appropriate to the environment in which the person works, e.g. a kitchen fitter should be fully conversant with the how/why/when of testing in relation to what he does, but should not be expected to acquire and prove knowledge of things that he doesn't deal with.  For example, in this bit of a 2391 paper:
I'd say that he should be able to answer 1,3,4,5&6, but doesn't need to be able to do #2.

So something along those lines - I'm not claiming that it's a fully thought-out plan, but the fundamental  point is that people should have relevant and formal qualifications, administered by C&G or BTEC etc.

For people who are 100% electricians, expected to work in a wide range of environments, the present and widely accepted set of qualifications should be maintained.

There would need to be a low-cost low-impact register of qualified people.  I don't think it needs to be free, but the costs of running it could be covered by a fairly small fee.   It should not be compulsory to join any trade organisation.

PLI should be compulsory, as it should for anybody providing services - gardeners, painters, TV aerial installers, hairdressers, manicurists, chefs, window-cleaners....

For householders why not a similar regime? Make them take training, concentrating on the basics, the safety, the proper selections of cables & protective devices etc, the importance of proper testing.  Make them pass an exam to show that they understand it, including a 2381-equivalent which covers only the regs that apply to domestic houses, and a 2391-equivalent which does ditto for inspection & testing.

For both groups, access to testing equipment for hire would need to be provided.  The requirements for test instruments should be modified to make data logging and a tamperproof clock compulsory, so that nobody could spoof test results.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2005, 10:02am

Would also need to stick a patch on that system for keeping the quals / cards up to date, and to keep 'gougers' from cutting corners, or just getting sloppy, as soon as they think noone is looking.

There are already qualified approval schemes for Part P covering specialisms like boiler and kitchen installers. The price looks the same though!

Word is also that the non-inspecting LABCBs are being pushed to inspect and test and charge accordingly. How come things never get rounded down or made cheaper? We're less than 2 months in to this stuff and it's already becoming a financial Frankenstein monster..... surprise surprise!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print