Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 15th, 2024, 2:40am
Quote: What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Washing machine tripping electrics (Read 17111 times)
Craig

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Washing machine tripping electrics
Mar 22nd, 2005, 1:22pm

Hi, I'm electronically incompetent & have a question, which I hope you can help. My 3 year old washine machine trips the whole electrics of my flat during a particular cycle. Any idea why? How to fix it? How much it will cost? please. Any help gratefully received.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Washing machine tripping electrics
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 3:50pm

It sounds like a part inside your washing machine has failed.  This is causing your trip (probably RCD) to trip when it hits that part of the cycle.

Your best bet is to get in touch with an appliance repair company to deal with this.  An Electrician will generally not want to get involved inside an appliance.

Your RCD is tripping for a reason - don't forget that!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 7:15pm

Not sure if this might be true or not but I'll offer an opinion for what it is worth.

I'm wondering whether this might be a problem with the heater element in the machine. They can get corroded, and in the past I have seen the outer skin of the element rust away, this leaves the element wire exposed. If that were to happen then there might be a chance that when the heater is switched on it dissipates some electricity to the water within the machine, obviously the machine is earthed, some energy goes to earth, and the end result is your RCD trips because of an imbalance in the currents flowing in the live and neutral.

As I say, don't take this as gospel - it could be a number of different things. But maybe you could check whether this problem occurs at the point in time when the heater kicks in.

You can probably physically disconnect the heater element fairly easily so that might give you a clue as to whether it is heater orientated.

NOTE: UNPLUG THE APPLIANCE BEFORE DIVING IN THE BACK! And be VERY careful poking about! There are big capacitors in the back of these machines and they hold a charge for hours after the machine is unplugged, if you shorted across one of these capacitors you could have huge instantaneous currents flowing.

If in doubt leave servicing to qualified appliance engineers.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 7:31pm

most washing machines dont heat their own water and those that do would use the heater all the way through in varying degrees  Undecided

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 8:10pm

Yes I believe thats correct  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

btw cold fill sucks  Grin

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 9:07pm

strangely most utility room extensions I build end up with cold fill only to the washing machines.  This is usually decided by the distance the hot cylinder is in relation to the utility room as the initial cold leg of water in the hot water pipe to the washing machine means it probably fills with cold anyway!

Modern machines use so little water that the hot never gets a chance to reach the machine  Grin

We've got two washing machines in our utility room (one old one, just for work clothes!) and both are set up on cold feed only  Undecided

Am I being a muppet or is my theory above 'slightly' correct  ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim Franklin
Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 9:20pm

It's possibly right Jerry, but if you want to be a muppet I'm sure we can oblige..Kermit!!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:00pm

lol  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:47pm

I had the same problem once - turned out to be a split hose spraying a tiny amount of water onto the motor.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:54pm

Hope you asked kermit, he's a good man with a good trade and he deserves better  Wink Grin

IP Logged

akuk
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2005, 4:55pm

[quote author=glover  link=1111497761/0#0 date=1111497760]Hi, I'm electronically incompetent & have a question, which I hope you can help. My 3 year old washine machine trips the whole electrics of my flat during a particular cycle. Any idea why? How to fix it? How much it will cost? please. Any help gratefully received.   [/quote]

If "...machine trips the whole electrics of my flat...", it seems that it is not on the RCD side of a split load, could it be that it has nothing to do with the RCD?, unless the main switch in the CCU is an RCD ???, just wondring...could it be that the motor gets hot after a while and than mechanically (expending, bearings), gets 'hard points' and overloads?
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 4:55pm by akuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2005, 5:48pm

Must be a main RCD - how else could a fault on an appliance on the end of a 13A plug take out the entire supply?

My vote stays with that ever popular combination of water, electricity, and an earthed conductive part.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

akuk
Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2005, 6:06pm

[quote author=ban-all-sheds  link=1111497761/0#11 date=1112633285]Must be a main RCD - how else could a fault on an appliance on the end of a 13A plug take out the entire supply?. [/quote]
Funny that, I am asking the same question... Grin
May be Craig could supply a bit more details, BAS, you might be right but having 30 years of trubbleshooting experience (not as electrician), I never take things forgranted, it is possible that there is no RCD in this CCU, it is possible that the WM is connected directly no fused plug etc... (sounds stupid, but I'm sure that in your experience as Sparky you have seen wors)
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 6:13pm by akuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2005, 6:19pm

But he's not a sparky, and thought we had come to the conclusion he had an RCD..

IP Logged

akuk
Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2005, 9:05pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1111497761/0#13 date=1112635196]But he's not a sparky, and thought we had come to the conclusion he had an RCD.. [/quote]
Sorry to be difficult (what's new...? Tongue), but the RCD idea is an assunption, not a fact...(it could be correct or maybe not...), no one in these posts confirm that a RCD tripped.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2005, 9:27pm

This bugs me a bit, why do people post a query like this then bugger off without responding to the replies?

This was started on March 22nd, nearly 2 weeks ago, so where is 'craig'??  ???
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 9:27pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

akuk
Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2005, 9:45pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1111497761/15#15 date=1112646420]

This was started on March 22nd, nearly 2 weeks ago, so where is 'craig'??  ??? [/quote]
Ibiza... hand washing... Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print