Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 12:15pm
Quote: If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rewiring question (Read 3967 times)
mjc
GDPR opt-out

Rewiring question
Apr 11th, 2005, 4:59pm

Hi folks

I am looking at buying a property in need of modernisation as a project which doesn't necessarily have to make lots of money but  would be more than a pain if it lost me money!

I have tackled most DIY jobs and have lived through a number of house renovations so I think I am capable of doing this.

I have seen a property which could be just what I am looking for and I am trying to come up with a reasonably accurate costing for doing all the work.

The property is the 1st floor of a 2 floor detatched house and has not really had much done since the 60's.  The light switches and sockets are at least 40 years old and there is a lot of wiring trailing along skirting boards and around door jambs.

The property consists of 2 beds, living room, bathroom, kitchen, utility room.

So given that a rewire is in order and that I want to keep costs to a minimum can I asked the assemble audience the following.

1) If I were to sub the whole job what sort of figure would I be looking at?

2) Given the new regs, is it feasible for me to do most of the work chasing out, wiring to sockets, switches, light fitings etc. and getting it certified?  If so again what would you estimate the cost to be.

Sorry to jump straight in like this with my first post but I have to move quckly if I want the property and I am pretty happy estimating the rest of the costs.

Cheers

Martin

IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Rewiring question
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2005, 6:53pm

See that piece of string?

As always it depends. It depends on ease of access, the state of the property, the exact spec of the rewire, what geographical area you are in, whether or not power needs to be maintained during the job,etc...

It's impossible to give a figure without seeing it and discussing your particular requirements. As for doing some of the work yourself, you will have to work that out with whichever spark you eventually employ - unless all of your work is available for visual inspection you might not be able to find anybody willing to certify it.

You could do it all yourself, if you inform Building Control beforehand and pay for notification and inspections. Materials would come in at around £300-500 (depending, again). Employing a spark to do the lot could be anywhere from, say £1500 to £3000, depending on... well, the list above, really.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

mjc
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2005, 8:02pm

Thanks for that.

I hate asaking how long a piece of string is  Smiley but I am only looking for rough estimates.

I am not sure that I really understand the new regulations and I know there have been numerous discussions here and elsewhere but am I correct in thinking that what you are saying is that it can be done by me as long as I a) notify building control to get permission b)  Have the first fix inspected (i.e. all wiring before it is covered up etc.) and c) have it signed off at the end?  Or do I have to do the above and get a qualified  spark to certify it?

Thanks

Martin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2005, 8:07pm

ditto dingbats comments

not sure about the process with building control down south but my understanding is you notify them and they will arrange to inspect your work at various stages and have someone carry out testing. for wich you pay around £200

thats saying your area building control are organised?????????

thats my interpretation anyway but it doesn't affect us north of the border yet
thats

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2005, 9:15pm

As Scotspark says, it does depend on your LABC: http://www.labc-services.co.uk/default.asp

If you contact them they will tell you how they are doing it - it varies from place to place. Some will arrange inspections and testing (at a price) some, apparently, will take a notification fee then accept a certificate issued by a qualified (but unregistered) spark.

They would all prefer that you get the job done by a registered electrician - that way they don't have to get involved at all!!!

IP Logged

mjc
Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2005, 9:36pm

Thanks, I will contact my local BC tomorrow.

Martin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mjc
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2005, 10:20am

Just spoke to local BC officer and he said that "we will not inspect and certify electrical installations".  Apparently their insurers were the root cause of the answer to this question.

Cheers

Martin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2005, 10:44am

Well how can that be, with part-p they have to be able to inspect the work or subcontract it out..

Think you'd best find a spark who will work with you to complete the task, but there will be some who won't touch it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print