Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 15th, 2024, 9:23am
Quote: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carpentry!! (Read 14405 times)
mattnite

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Carpentry!!
Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:52pm

Hi,
I put a post up a while ago regarding my intention to go into carpentry as a profession. I am 24, and obviously looking to do a course and start an apprentiship. I live in Sheffield and the local course is commonly know to be rubbish and there don't seem to be any opportunites to become an apprantice at 24. Can anyone help?- I will be willing to move anywhere including abroad to get the best training! I am looking to get into furniture making long-term.

cheers
Matt Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Carpentry!!
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:05pm

i will see what i can find out for you, at the moment i am not looking at taking any one on,as i fairly recently "disbanded" a small firm for want of a better term, as i got sick of all the worries and was happy to be bought out!!        
but i have heard things regards courses, will have to chase them up!! will try and get back to you with some options soon!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

mattnite

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2006, 1:36pm

Hi Wolf,

Thats really good of you to help me! Thank you very much! Smiley

Matt

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2006, 9:28am

Hi Matt

Carpentry and furniture making are almost different ends of the spectrum. They are both working wood and use some of the same tools, but.....

Leeds College of Building still run some good courses on furniture-making and furniture manufacture (I believe that Richard Jones teaches there) as do Burnley College - who incidentally have a brilliant upholstery section run by Bevan Guy. The City University of Manchester (Manchester Poly as was) did run some good courses especially their furniture conservation courses, but they've cut back due to the government's funding regime.

If you are interested in persuing a career in furniture you might also want to try some of the medium-size furniture manufacturers such as Sutcliffe's in Todmorden (West Yorkshire) or Vale Upholstery (Mytholmroyd, West Yorks - they do traditional dowelled hardwood-framed chairs and settees) to see if they take on apprentices.  Sorry, can't advise you about Sheffield, but there did used to be a large pine furniture industry out round Newark in Nottinghamshire to the south of you and I know that some of it turned over to hardwood in more recent years.

As to furniture making for a living,  personally I think it's a fast track to the poorhouse in large parts of northern England. One difficulty is that everyone compares your prices to Ikea and expects you to price accordingly. You can find pockets where this is not the case, but it can take many years to gain acceptance.

Not trying to put you off, just trying to make you aware of what things are like.

On the opther hand if you are considering carpentry or joinery there are considerably more oppportunities. Maybe Coggy would care to comment about Sheffield?

Scrit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2006, 10:00am

[quote author=Scrit  link=1143130874/0#3 date=1143278894]As to furniture making for a living,  personally I think it's a fast track to the poorhouse in large parts of northern England. One difficulty is that everyone compares your prices to Ikea and expects you to price accordingly. You can find pockets where this is not the case, but it can take many years to gain acceptance.

Scrit
[/quote]

yep get this a lot an argos catolouge and"can you make this any cheaper"pointing at a flat pack bedroom set

and the answer is nope but i can build you a custom set that actualy enhanses your room dosnt need puting together and lasts a lifetime rather than 3 or 4 years

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2006, 11:55am

Problem is, BA, that you've still got to pay the rent whilst you're trying to find the customers with a bit more savvy/taste. Joinery puts bread on the table.

Scrit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2006, 2:06pm

[quote author=Scrit  link=1143130874/0#5 date=1143287719]Problem is, BA, that you've still got to pay the rent whilst you're trying to find the customers with a bit more savvy/taste. Joinery puts bread on the table.

Scrit [/quote]

yep spot on thats why the job description should be
cabinet maker bench joiner carpenter "basics plumber" "non part p electrics" "brickie"labourer"and  decorator

best money made at what you do best

the other 80%every thing else Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2006, 2:20pm

[quote author=big_all  link=1143130874/0#6 date=1143295607]

yep spot on thats why the job description should be
cabinet maker bench joiner carpenter "basics plumber" "non part p electrics" "brickie"labourer"and  decorator

best money made at what you do best

the other 80%every thing else Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes
[/quote]
Sounds like bespoke kitchen maker/fitter to me.....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2006, 3:25pm

all i am saying is you must turn your hand to whatever needs doing to finnish the job
and to fill the books in quiet times Wink

IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2006, 3:38pm

Amen to that..... Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2006, 5:25pm

Quote:
As to furniture making for a living,  personally I think it's a fast track to the poorhouse in large parts of northern England.

I was at the Ideal Home Exhibition show on Friday and you can't help but notice a lot of very similar oak furniture being imported from Slovenia (or some new EEC country). Mostly tables and chairs but also sideboards, dressers and the like. It's not top quality but it's not rubbish either. Must be having some impact on the UK furniture building industry.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2006, 5:37pm

As a one man band I only know one person who makes a living solely from making furniture. He lives in an affluent area of the country and has built up the business over many years.

Big All wrote
Quote:
all i am saying is you must turn your hand to whatever needs doing to finnish the job  
and to fill the books in quiet times

Too true, I've had a bad debt and now to catch up financially I'm fitting bathrooms for the next month Cry

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2006, 6:19pm

Same thing here, although I prefer the bespoke furniture there are not that many people willing to pay a couple of grand for a table particularly without seeing a finished one in the flesh.

Heres a list of jobs this year

- Bathroom, did have bespoke oak vanity, WC boxing & bathpanel
- Bathroom,Premade units
- Current project, knock master bedroom/on-suite/second bedroom into one, Some Bespoke joinery but wardrobes in dressing room were reduced to using the old panel doors due to £1500 worth of mosaic but client also wants me to make bed, bedside cabinets etc. See the progress so far
-Another bathroom with a couple of small cabinets
-Large wardrobe project £5K
-Pair occasional tables
-Bathroom
etc etc

If you can turn your hand to most things then you should not be out of work although it may not always be what you like to do.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2006, 9:26pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1143130874/0#10 date=1143307526]I was at the Ideal Home Exhibition show on Friday and you can't help but notice a lot of very similar oak furniture being imported from Slovenia (or some new EEC country). Mostly tables and chairs but also sideboards, dressers and the like. It's not top quality but it's not rubbish either. Must be having some impact on the UK furniture building industry.
[/quote]
It has. The impact of the cheaper volume stuff going to Indonesia, Malaysia and China followed by the huge inroads into both the pine and low- to mid-market hardwood manufacturing sector has decimated the furniture manufacturing and sub-component sectors here. I now get a major auction notification once or twice a month on this type of business - either downsizing or cessation. If the guys in the automated industrial sector (these are all CNC-using businesses and already highly automated) can't survive and the price of equivalent mid-market products is sliding because of retail competition there will inevitably be a shake-out in the upper end of the market, too, due to an amount of financial pressure (maily driven by sliding retail prices). The only CNC people I know who are "thriving" are all doing either kitchen/bedroom/bathroom carcasses/doors or staircases, and I suspect a few of them are looking over their shoulders as well.

In this we are not alone. The industry in the Carolinas (USA) is contracting very quickly and even the Italian industry, famous for small, highly-automated shops is feeling the pinch.

I think that we are going towards a world where people either buy slightly klunky, so-so quality items from Eastern Europe or cheap and chearful from the Far East where the design is done here. But furniture manufacturing? I can see little future in it in the UK.

Scrit

PS Wanna buy a cheap CNC router?  Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2006, 9:29pm by Scrit »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

splinter
Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2006, 9:58pm

Scrit ,
     It started over ten years ago or in reality twenty, and it makes me sick to think about all that crap from the far east especially China pouring into this country.
 Ivegone from making one of pieces of furniture and bespoken joinery to what I am doing now, f***ing formwork.
Now I competing against eastern eroupians ,who will happily do my job for half the going rate .all I need now is some smart arse to tell me that there is a shortage of skilled trades in the building industry Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2006, 12:12am

Obviously the same complete TW@TS that sent me a letter this morning saying the CIS system is being scrapped now!!! with the taxman now going to be monitering what we earn direct!!!!

good bye wage packet!! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
good bye (ONCE) Great Britain!!!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Mr_Mike
Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2006, 12:20am

Hi Matt,

Don't be disheartened by what you read here. At 24, you are young. The important thing is to learn and acquire knowledge, read as much as you can, and more importantly practice your skills. Do as much carpentry as you can, whether it be for friends & family, or, just for yourself for fun ! Making draws, boxes, whatever, you'll be learning more about working with wood than you'll be aware of. It can be a beautiful (& very frustrating at times!) material to work with.

I understand you want to get into furniture making long term and there are city & guilds fine woodwork 2 year diploma courses, or 3 year degree courses out there (Buckinghamshire Chilterns Uni / Rycotewood, etc) that would give you a basic grounding, but, you could even start on the NVQ / ICA level 2 route in wood occupations or bench joinery. They're not to be sniffed at. You may have to pay your own way through the course (they're often block release and you can take any old job just to pay your way through the course between the college weeks),  but it's not hugely expensive (compared to the diploma/degree courses). You'll still be learning useful skills towards your long term goal of furniture making, like building carcasses, frame & panel doors, through and lapped dovetails, using and maintaining hand tools & power tools, working with hardwoods / softwoods / MDF / Plywood. It's all useful. If you can get work as a carpenter / joiner in the first instance, then who knows, you might find someone who is willing to pay for a one off piece of furniture made by you eventually. You have to start somewhere. You may find you enjoy it more than cabinet making in the long run !

Dig out your yellow pages / thomson local directorys and write to all the local carpenters / joinery shops explaining your situation & include a self stamped address enevlope. You may get paid next to nothing for your services, but you will be learning. You never stop learning regardless of how many years served.

If you want it bad enough, you'll get yourself sorted. Stay positive and don't get disheartened by what you read here ! Onwards and upwards !  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print