Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 10:58am
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Funny sights  ;D (Read 10214 times)
Dewy
GDPR opt-out

Funny sights  ;D
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:02am

I'm sure everyone has at least one thing they have seen that they consider funny.
In the early years of ITV my dad made his own ariel out of ali tube & ali compression fittings. He was trying to get it to work in the loft when his foot slipped off the joist. My mum & me heard the bang & rushed upstairs to see his leg dangling out of the ceiling. His other leg was at 90 degrees to it over the joists. He must have been in such pain where his dangly bits had hit the joist but neither mum nor me could help because we were laughing so much.  Grin
Eventually we were able to push his foot up from the landing so he could get himself out.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Funny sights  ;D
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2004, 12:22am

That happened on a site I was working on the guy slipped though the ceiling as you discribed, with one leg either side of the joists, problem was it was a lathe and plaster ceiling and every time he tried to get out the battens dug in more  Embarrassed Cheesy Embarrassed

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2004, 11:48pm

Well, my other half; in the early days, used to work on site and one day was testing out a new property.  Turned on the stop tap slowly and listened . . . . .

Waited for the water sound to stop . . . . . . but it didn't so checks upstairs bathroom, ensuite, downstairs kitchen, cloak's etc and no sign of any leaks - funny!

Thinks to himself "I didn't work on this one so I'll turn it on full and see what happens" . . . . . .

Still no signs of leaks (despite frantically running around the house like a headless chicken).  

Then a small site agents head pops around the door and says "should all this water be gushing out of the gas meter box outside?"

Enough said . . . . .
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2004, 11:48pm by Mud »  

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. . . . &&&&Albert Einstein&&
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2004, 11:53pm

Middle of Bognor high street in the height of the summer.

Plumber (me) turns the stoptap off in the pavement.

Does my little job inside and turns the stoptap back on.

Ooooops, the body came out the valve. Embarrassed

scruff

IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2004, 12:02am

Oooh dear - one of our lads (3rd yr apprentice) doesn't know his left from right hand or clockwise from anti-clockwise and made the same mistake . . . .  TWICE! hahahahahahaha - well, not really but we can laugh about it now.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. . . . &&&&Albert Einstein&&
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2004, 9:18pm

apprentice on job we were working on in nursing home was stripping out old tv cables and wiring new ones for the new layout of rooms and decided he'd have the old areial so gets up on the roof and snip it's in the van  Winkwhen all this shouting starts in the dayroom ??? plonker had cut wrong aerial and residents werent happy at losing their dose of daytime telly Shocked Shocked

Tongue

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2004, 12:18am

Sparkies apprentice left to fit an expellaire into an existing glass window pane.  Extractor kit is for a pre-cut 4" hole so the monkey tried to drill the glass with a Bosch hammer drill. . . .  need I elaborate on the result?

2nd apprentice mixes up a bucket of sand & cement, doesn't use all the mix so thinks it will be a prudent idea to leave it so that someone can use up the rest the next day?????  He soon found out the price of a new bucket!

Unfortunately the above are both true - I laughed (cause it wasn't one of my apprentices hahahahahaha)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2004, 12:29am

I'll always remember one of the apprentices at work. He was constantly the butt of jokes by one guy teaching him. One day they trussed his hands & ankles together with loads of masking tape then sat him on the edge of a bench. It took him hours to get free without toppling on the floor. Another time they chained him to the cycle shed by the car park one lunch break. When the hooter went everyone went back to work but he was forgotten til it was time to go home. Just as well the guy with the keys had his car parked by the shed or the kid would have been there til the nightshift came in. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mice

pass me the BIG hammer

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2004, 2:11am

A couple of years ago my pullcord snapped in the bathroom so I thought I may as well change the whole thing as it had gone all yellow and brittle.  Sent wifey to turn off the mains which she duely shouted up the stairs that she had.  Up my steps I went, removed the cover and started to disconnect the cables then rapidly back down my steps I came twisting my ankle and breaking my nose on the toilet.  If I had been working on the shower which she had correctly isolated I would have been fine.  This is one of those instances which explains why they hammer it home about testing for dead!

We will fix it, we will fix it
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2004, 10:41pm

You Trusted the Wife ??? Shocked Roll Eyes

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2004, 11:52pm

I just remembered a sight from my youth.
A new girl had started in the offices who thought she was the bees knees (she married the boss in the end)
The social club had a skittles night at a pub in the country. She drove up in her white mini & parked it alongside a farm gate. We had a lot of rugby players in the factory and they had a laugh on her. When she got back to the mini later she couldn't drive it. They had carried it sideways so it was in the gate opening with a couple of inches clearance front & back. She had a long wait til they finished drinking. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2004, 12:13am

here's one for you guys........
many years ago, a friend of mine had his eighteenth birthday , so when driving past his local,with another friend jimbo, there was his car,  a couple of years old bemmer... so we set about it, as we were given a spare key to look after.. up came the bonnet, in went condoms on air intakes, shaving foam on the paint and lipstick on the windows, up it went on the jack, had taken 2 wheels off and put them under , lowered car on to the wheels, ....
just inserting the jack to remove the rear wheels, when a police car came hussling in to the pub car park.. and me and my friend jim were arrested for theft, vandalism.. etc.. etc..
i will admit we had gone over the top!!!!!
however, i transpired at the local cop shop, after about 2 hours of grief, that "OUR FRIEND" Ricky had sold the bloody car the day before!!!!!!!
so to avoid getting a nicking , we had toi wash, polish, clean and valet the entire car, and make good any marks caused.......
we were not happy bunnies.....
Ricky thought it was hilarious....NOT
regards matt Embarrassed Embarrassed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Undecided Undecided Tongue Embarrassed Embarrassed

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2004, 1:07pm

One of our apprentices turned 18 last year and they happened to be working just a few doors down the street from his old high school . . . well, lunch time they gaffer-taped him to a lamp post with his trousers round his ankles and left him.  He was rescued by a group of nice young lasses who knew him but his face was red for some days after. Grin

Sparkie we used to do a lot of work with was working in a warehouse up in a loft and was there for some hours.  Come home time he finds that the ladders had been removed and that everyone had gone home leaving him there in the loft.  With no phone (this was a few years ago mind you) he had no way of telling anyone he was stranded there and had to wait until his wife called the police, who called his boss, who called the warehouse manager to come and let him out.  Poor guy didn't get home till past midnight. Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

cupid

stand&be counted? sod
that,lie down no  number?

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2004, 6:43pm

This is a true story, FUNNY SIGHT you decide?
A guy walking his dog along footpath came up to a leval crossing that was down shutting path/road off,rather than walk up/over footbridge he decides to wait,a car pulls up and stops then 2nd car comes along and hit rear of 1st car, the guy with dog SHOUTS I SAW THAT,i will be a witness, he duly ties up dog and proceeds to give details to car driver,just then the train leaves the station and barriers start to go up taking the dog some 15-20ft in the air, he had tied the dog to one of the barriers ???.

ps:yes the dog did die.

Give me the MEN i will do the job MYSELF!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2004, 8:04pm

Talking of Dogs.

We were working in Bicester, and an American from the base was standing on the pavement thumbing a lift.

Along comes a dog a cocks his leg over his kit bag on the pavement.  8)

scruff

IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Reply #15 - Apr 28th, 2004, 10:42pm

A guy wanted to do some roof repairs to the rear of his bungalow.  Rather that hire a roof ladder, he just used an ordinary one lying along the angle of the roof & to make it secure he threw a rope over the roof & tied one end to the ladder & the other to his car.

So he's happily working away safe in the knowledge that his ladder is secure - next thing he knows, the missus is popping off to the shops in his car!!

He survived, but had a few broken bones to show for it!!

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2004, 1:32am

That's the first one that has made me laugh uncontrollably kesh. Cheesy:D:D:D:D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print