Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 30th, 2024, 2:09am
Quote: Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
c&g exams advise (Read 9256 times)
supra59
GDPR opt-out

c&g exams advise
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:00am

hello all i would like some advice on the best course which i would benifit from

i have no certs in the elec field but i have worked on electrical instalation mainly commercial properties for about six years with a fully qualified spark but i had done three or four house rewires before i started with
my mate which i had inspected by a qualfied spark who written the cert for me. my freind retired around 18 month age and i have taken over the work. since, i have done four or so big jobs which all have been tested by
nic approved sparks and recieved the certs.

so my question is i am confident with my work practically
but would like to inprove my understanding of the theory side of the job testing etc my main downfall would be the mathamatics as i am not that hot with this. so what would be a good course for me to take, and if poss what sort of questions would be on the papers.

thanks to all that as taken the time to read this and any help will be appreciated. ps please dont think i am a cow boy because i have no qaulifications. as i take great pride in my work.

thanks again supra
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2004, 12:03am by supra59 »  

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: c&g exams advise
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2004, 12:05am

The following courses in the following order.
GCSE MATHS
GCSE PHYSICS
C & G 2360 PTS 1 & 2
C & G 2381
C &G 2391

Good luck mate - I know who you are!
Hope I passed the test!
TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supra59
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2004, 12:13am

hi trician thanks for your promt answer im not sure you
are being serious and i dont understand the bottom lines you no who i am and did i pass .

please explain thanks supra

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

unphased
Re: c&g exams advice
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2004, 11:43am

My suggestion would be to study the C&G part 1 now and see how you fair.  Then go for part 2.

um..I dont know who you are   ???

Undecided

Roy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2004, 3:32pm

Hey Supra

I don't Personally know who you are, so I don't know what all this is about, but anyway

I assume you already have GCSE or similar to get you onto a starting course.

As Unphased suggested, Part 1 is your best choice

C&G number 2330 (previously 2360) Part 1

if you pass this you would then go onto complete part 2.

nothing more to add really except you can progress onto short courses after that if you wish.

good luck  Smiley

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supra59
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2004, 5:39pm

Thanks for the sugestions the only problem i have found
with my age the coledges i have enquired at say i am to old and the part 1 and 2 are for apprentices as such i did ask the question and i was told to look at further education courses which dont do these courses i am 45
years old and would look a little odd with 16 to 18s as an apprentice  lol but on a serious note its seems to me a little odd that  i am classed as being to old to do the course surely peeps from time to time swap trades later in life like my self which i served my apprenticeship as a mechanic / auto spark. any further sugestions will be welcomed. ps i dont know what all the other remarks are about i am quite sure i no nobody on here im from manchester so if some one does no me speak up and tell me who you are thanks again supra by the way the glossary looks good lspark.  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RES

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2004, 9:01pm

In an ideal world you should probably do 2360 parts 1 & 2.  But in reality unless you're looking to get a job that specifically requires it, I would do your 2381 and then 2391.

RES

No rompiere mis colliones, por favor
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mark

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2004, 10:40pm

i think you will find that many 2391 courses now require part c & g  as an entry requirement  1and 2

also 2381 are asking for c & g part 1 now as a lot of people were doning the 2381 especially plumbers and claiming to be qualified electricians

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RES

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2004, 9:09am

Sorry, my information may be out of date.  When I took my 2381 & 2391 last year, there were no entry requirements.  One bloke dropped out of the 2381 as he was a mechanical fitter, and was struggling.  His choice though, doubt the colleges are going to send anyone away who wants to pay to do the course.  2381 was a joke, all we did was dozens of old papers, so when we sat the real one 90% of the questions you'd already answered, probably several times, so it was a memory test.  It did teach you how to use the 16th edition, which I suppose is all it's really meant to do.
2391 was far more demanding, but not beyond most sparks who do the job daily.  But again no entry requirements.

RES

No rompiere mis colliones, por favor
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2004, 6:20pm

Hey Supra

Well thats a right load of crap what they told you, firstly the 2360 courses are vocational courses, they require you to have some knowlege or experience already before you take them on.

secondly theres no way your too old to do them, whilst doing our part 2 we had many good blokes in our class which were from all sections of the industry, all ages, and some who had nothing to do with electrical work, at least a quater of the class were in the 40's, most in there late 20's early 30's and a few 18 upwards.

If you can get your local college to accept you on 2381 & 2391 coures on your experieance in electrical work then that may be a good option or a good start, but it wont give you the same qualification as if you took the 2-3 years, but I think it would serve you better, and wont nessiciary restrict what you can do.

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2004, 6:21pm

[quote author=supra59  link=1096066841/0#5 date=1096216774]by the way the glossary looks good lspark.  
                  [/quote]

Ta  Smiley

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2004, 6:25pm

[quote author=RES  link=1096066841/0#8 date=1096272592]Sorry, my information may be out of date.  When I took my 2381 & 2391 last year, there were no entry requirements.  One bloke dropped out of the 2381 as he was a mechanical fitter, and was struggling.  His choice though, doubt the colleges are going to send anyone away who wants to pay to do the course.  2381 was a joke, all we did was dozens of old papers, so when we sat the real one 90% of the questions you'd already answered, probably several times, so it was a memory test.  It did teach you how to use the 16th edition, which I suppose is all it's really meant to do.
2391 was far more demanding, but not beyond most sparks who do the job daily.  But again no entry requirements.

RES [/quote]

with regard to entry requirements, there is as mark said some requirements, this would include part 1 for 16th edditon course, and C & G 1+2, Including 16th eddition for 2391 (testing), some colleges will let you in without the 2381 if you are uptodate with the regulations.

there is however a chance this maybe overlooked, every college is different tho and you may or may not be able to work something out with them.

IP Logged

supra59
Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2004, 5:50pm

Thanks lads i will go down the road of 2381/2391 i will have to try a few different colledges to see if i can get in
just hope i can grasp the maths.

Thanks again for all the help supra

Ps still not sure what this was about with tricians post

Good luck mate - I know who you are!
Hope I passed the test!
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2004, 5:51pm by supra59 »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supra59
Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2004, 10:03pm

i thought i would let you all no i have found a colledge
in rochdale which i can take the 2 courses what was suggested without any other c&g which sounds good to me i phoned them and ask the question he also tells me theres not any difficult maths involved but for the 2391
it would be better to take a 1 day practical course on testing an instalation i will keep you informed of the progress thanks again supra

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - Sep 29th, 2004, 2:20pm

Hope all goes well Supra, don't worry about the maths too much, if you have done testing before, or study and practice (if you can) before the course, it will make it that much easier for you.

If you need any advice or help from anyone here at NS, we will do our best to help you where we can  Smiley

IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2004, 7:49pm

If you do plenty of reading up (guides by Scadden etc), can read through the regs & understand them, along with trip curves, correction factors etc., and have good mathematical knowledge then I'd recommend going straight for 2381 at your local college - that's what I'm doing, and am finding it fine.  Then go for 2391.

Good luck!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2004, 7:57pm

I'm doing 2381 at the moment, it's not too difficult if you have plenty of practical knowledge of electrical installations.  

However some of the others on my course are also doing 2391 at the same time. they say it is a nightmare!!  Formulas about 18" long!!

Is inspection and testing THAT difficult??

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print