Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:10pm
Quote: If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building a frame and shelf for a tumble dryer (Read 12365 times)
HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Building a frame and shelf for a tumble dryer
Oct 30th, 2004, 1:53pm

I have a customer wanting to put their tumble dryer on top of their washing machine. Rather than plonk it straight on top of the washing machine they want it on it's own shelf, and whilst there is a shelf to make it bigger and useable to one side of it as well in their double width airing cupboard.

What's the best way to make it. I'm thinking along the lines of 2"x2" for the frame with some 18mm ply for the shelf to ensure it's sturdy enough to cope with the vibrations from the tumble dryer and it's weight. I'm planning on using six legs because of the width of the shelf. What kind of joints are best, tenon or half-lap or something else. Would some extra bracing be a good idea?

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Building a frame and shelf for a tumble dryer
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2004, 2:15pm

18mm ply is a good choice, however if you've got a piece of worktop lying around that might conceivably be a better choice - rounded front edge is a bit more attractive, it's cheaper than 18mm, and you also get moisture resistance thrown in (possibly a good idea given it's a tumble dryer).

WRT joints I'd be looking at buying some angle brackets to do the job. Nowt wrong with halflaps etc, but angle brackets give you a surety of having several screws holding it all together.

You'd possibly need to be careful with regard to the span of the worktop/ply. Too wide and it'll most likely sag.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2004, 2:34pm

You'd possibly need to be careful with regard to the span of the worktop/ply. Too wide and it'll most likely sag.

That's why I'm planning on 6 legs for the frame to cope with the wide span. Four legs just for the dryer and an extra two at the other end of the shelf.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2004, 4:22pm

Isn't there a wall behind the washing machine/dryer that you could use for mounting purposes?

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2004, 5:08pm

i personaly would go along the route andrew suggests trying to picture the exact  scenario

i would use 18mm ply sides if the sides are hidden stop the sides 2 inches away from the wall for access of pipes hosses ect with a batton of 2 by 2 at the top [internal] for the top to sit on between sides and the top
the top 18mm ply  the the full depth to the wall and the same size as the sides outer edge to outer edge
i would also suggest you finnish the top with 2 by 1 on all edges[ except batton underneath  the back to fix to wall] screw the 2x1 on with about 18mm abovethe top to give you a lip to stop the machine vibrating off  also to strenthen the edge and stop the ply edge showing
you could also finnish the font edge of the sides with 1 by 1 or a bit off 2by 1 ripped down the middle
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2004, 5:10pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2004, 11:04pm

I might go for a combination of the above. Thanks guys. There are only two walls I can attach to, so I'll need to have some sort of frame to support the weight of the dryer especially with the width being nearly 2.5m. The only problem is trying to work with the doors. It's a double width airing cupboard with a central post in the middle between the two doors. Going to be fun to slide in the one piece 18mm ply into the cupboard!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2004, 11:28pm

A tumble drier in an airing cupboard?
I hope there is an outside wall to put the vent through.
Otherwise the clothes in there will be soaked most of the time.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2004, 12:31am

blimy h j Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

8 foot span i now understand the comment about extra legs Grin Grin
curious to know why they have got to be "stacked" when there seems to be space side by side
anyway my suggestion would sag if their is more than a few inches either side of the machine  Wink
need any more help run it by us Grin

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big-e

The (piss)artist formerly
known as Mice!

Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2004, 5:26pm

With regards to getting the single piece of ply into the cupboard I would do this first.  Measure and cut so it will fit exactly at the height required then put inside the cupboard and temporarily support above the height desired.  This will leave you free to build your frame and just lower the top when completed otherwise it may be impossible to get it in (oo er! Shocked)  I learnt this the hard way when building some larder storage. Wink

big-e

OOPS!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print