Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:36pm
Quote: My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laminate flooring (Read 4155 times)
sesa

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Laminate flooring
Nov 11th, 2004, 5:12pm

Hi All,

We have just started laying a laminate floor and are experiencing a few teething problems and consequently have chipped a few of the boards at the ends. Sad
We don't want to replace the whole board, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to cover up these chips?
Much appreciated.
Sesa

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ColG
Re: Laminate flooring
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2004, 5:33pm

If the chips are at the end of a run i.e. near wall, then the skirting or finishing strip should cover them,  If it's in the middle of a run, then you could try one of the repair kits available - not particularly brilliant but might get you by.

Col

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2004, 5:36pm

When you say ends, do you mean the ends on the end of the run ?  If you do then it will be covered by the skirting or cover mould.

If not then you can buy repair kits for the type of flooring you need, never used one so dont know what there like.

Hope this helps

Coggy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2004, 5:37pm

Wow  Shocked Col great minds think a like  Grin but you beat me to it  Roll Eyes

Jase

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2004, 6:43pm

Does depend how big the chips are but these tubes of repair filler definately do not make an invisible repair. I'd take it up where you need to and as everyone else suggested put the chipped boards at the edge where it won't show.

Keith

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2004, 7:25pm

One thing to note whith any floor covering.
You need 10% more than the finished size to allow for such wastage.
i.e.
10 square metre floor you need 11 square metres.
15 square metre floor you need 16.5 square metres.
20 square metre floor needs 22 square metres or nearest above.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

tellondon
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2004, 7:54pm

A RUG

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2004, 12:11am

Quote:
We have just started laying a laminate floor and are experiencing a few teething problems and consequently have chipped a few of the boards at the ends.  

assuming you are useing a jig saw  your cutting from left to right just flip the boards end over end butt the board against the wall and depending on the sort of board clearence required you you just transfer the edge of the board onto the back of the board on top [plus or minus a few mm dependant on clearence reguired square the mark on the top  cut from the back no chipping Wink
if there is a slight angle remember you either have to cut from the front or reverse the angle on the back

if your chipped board are bad and you dont think you can easily cover them with the edging
its worth concidering replacing them now whilst its un finnished working on the principle the joints either gradualy slope left or right you just go back or forward to a slightly smaller chipped board replacing it with a slightly longer ex chipped board[cut down] Wink

i use 101d or 101b blades replacing frequently they blunt quite quickly probably after 5m of cuts [experiance will tell]

good luck
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2004, 12:37am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print