Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:03am
Quote: What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trunking (Read 13658 times)
John   Davies
GDPR opt-out

Trunking
Oct 31st, 2004, 1:16am

I am finally about ready to start my rewire, but have hit a snag at the planning stage.  

The current consumer unit is under the stairs, which curve round 90 degrees. The existing cable runs to the upstairs go under the flooring of the understairs area, under the hall floor, and then up the other side of the hall wall, running between the living room and dining room doors in deep  PVC trunking.

This is the only really sensible route - there is about 6 " (i.e., the width of a block wall) between the two doorways.)  However, to have the conduit sticking out into the hall at this point as at present is a pain, and I am wondering about following the same route with the new cables but either rebating them into the wall and protecting them with standard metal protectors or doing a little better and using metal conduit.  I could then plaster up and have a neat and tidy job. I am however concerned about anyone trying to, say, put up a picture in the dim and distant future and finding my main cooker feed, so want to protect the cables as much as possible........

So:-

1. How many cables can I run in one conduit? I am reckoning on running nine or ten cables in all, 2 off 1.5 and 7/8 off 2.5mm, plus cooker feed.
2. Do ordinary metal protectors now have to be earthed?  I know conduit has to be. If so, is it sufficient to just screw a terminal to the metal, or do I need a special fixing?
3.  Am I best off using standard, round 25mm conduits or is there a conduit on the market which is rectangular in cross section which would suit me better.  In any case anything I use would have to be plastered over.  

Thanks

John Davies

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Trunking
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2004, 1:31am

Heya John

A few points as im falling asleep Grin

Idea type of conduit for your sockets is oval conduit in 20mm, this is almost rectangular, but its well oval  Smiley

You would be looking at getting 2x 2.5mm cables in this most, for your rings etc.

Small metal protectors e.g. plates for protecting cables in notches don't need to be earthed.

I wouldn’t suggest using steel conduit unless you can thread it properly with appropriate equipment, Price of this would also set you back a fair bit.

Steel capping/channel is fairly cheap, and fairly nasty too, however this would do the job and give you the protection you require, obviously is not as good as a deeper chase and using round or oval PVC conduit in permitted zones

Otherwise PVC conduit and cables must be run in permitted zones which is vertically below and above sockets, and directly horizontally to accessories etc
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2004, 9:06pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

tellondon
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2004, 2:41pm

Was you drunk last night LS or just very tired?
Half of that advice you gave is wrong
You cant run diagonally even if you place metal capping over cable
You cant use oval plastic conduit if the cable run isnt in a designated area

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2004, 3:39pm

You can use metal capping on a diagonal run - its earthed mechanical protection.
You may not need to thread steel conduit if you are only using straight runs (its in around 12' lengths)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2004, 4:23pm

[quote author=tellondon  link=1099181794/0#2 date=1099233715]Was you drunk last night LS or just very tired?
Half of that advice you gave is wrong
You cant run diagonally even if you place metal capping over cable
You cant use oval plastic conduit if the cable run isnt in a designated area [/quote]

lol yes tired not drunk, anyway I don't have time to check the posts and check what I said so if it's wrong you advise him  Roll Eyes

thx LS

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2004, 4:25pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2004, 5:10pm

[quote author=sparkyjonny  link=1099181794/0#3 date=1099237186]You can use metal capping on a diagonal run - its earthed mechanical protection. [/quote]

It's neither earthed, nor is it suitable mechanical protection.

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2004, 5:38pm

Metal capping is not acceptable on diagonal runs. It must be metal conduit, metal trunking or metal ducting, in other words "fully enclosing" the cables.  It must also be earthed if diagonal (and less than 50mm from the wall surface).

If it's in one of the zones (vert/horiz/150 from corner or ceiling) then no protection is required.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2004, 6:21pm

Must admit, 50mm doesn't sound very deep to me! If I'm drilling holes in masonry it's not unusual for me to go deep to make sure the rawlplugs are biting on real brick and not some fancy plasterwork.....

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2004, 6:32pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1099181794/0#7 date=1099246907]Must admit, 50mm doesn't sound very deep to me! If I'm drilling holes in masonry it's not unusual for me to go deep to make sure the rawlplugs are biting on real brick and not some fancy plasterwork.....

Andrew
[/quote]

a hole is a very different thing from a channel

you can make a hole right through the wall to put a gas meter box in and the wall should be fine

but if you cut the wall in half from top to bottom i suspect you would have problems

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2004, 7:35pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1099181794/0#7 date=1099246907]Must admit, 50mm doesn't sound very deep to me! If I'm drilling holes in masonry it's not unusual for me to go deep to make sure the rawlplugs are biting on real brick and not some fancy plasterwork.....

Andrew
[/quote]

I quite agree, I always drill about 60mm or more, in which case I could easily hit an unprotected and hidden diagonal cable  Embarrassed

Another of those silly rules from BS 7671  Angry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2004, 9:07pm

My mistake, I gues capping really is of no use then  Smiley

IP Logged

John   Davies
Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2004, 11:16pm

I am actually going straight up - from floor to ceiling -  not diagonal.

From what you say, capping would therefore be ok, but earthed metal trunking or earthed round metal conduit would be best if I can make enough room for it.

Thanks

John D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2004, 12:38am

Hey John

Trunking is only ideal if its surface, if you are running cables in the walls and want to use steel conduit that’s ok.

IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2004, 10:58pm

[quote author=dingbat  link=1099181794/0#5 date=1099242650]

It's neither earthed, nor is it suitable mechanical protection.
[/quote]

I didn't say the capping shouldn't be earthed - John already said he would earth it.
I know the regs mention mechanical protection, but little stands in the way of a masonry bit with hammer action and a determined driller!  I'm pretty sure this could pass through SWA!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2004, 5:42am

But a masonry drill won't do diddly to metal conduit. You can tick away all day with your SDS on that and it'll just annoy you.

Back to J.D.s question. Can you not access between the floors from the under-stairs position?. If you're in luck and the joists run the correct direction you may be able to do away with much of the run and just go direct between the floors. May be worth a poke about. If not then, possibly go for singles in a conduit run, or two, right from the CU through the stairs/wall part of the run, and finish the conduit in a box once you're back in more normal territory. You can hire the benders for the conduit for about £7 to £10 +VAT per day. The conduit then could be channeled in the edge of the wall between the doors. Structurally there should be few consequences if this is just a block deviding wall. Just have a good look and maybe take some of the wall surface off to see how sound the core is first. once the conduit is cemented in place (not plastered, cement stronger between the doors) you'll probably be more solid than the original brick.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2004, 12:25am

bollox beanzy

i have seen on more than 1 occasion a sds masonry drill go straight into a steel conduit. you've got to be unlucky rnough to hit it straight on centre tho i reckon otherwise it'll probably bend past the side

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2004, 5:58am

Must have been a 'meaty' drill like one of the 4kg + ones. My Bosch GBH would never manage something like that, it'd 'bounce', but it's only 2.5kg. My other 240V drill may, but I only use that for chasing/chiselling so it's not really an issue as those bits wouldn't do in a conduit.

Do you use heavy drills for your normal stuff? I only ask as I've been thinking of getting a bigger 110v or battery drill, which would double up for the deeper chasing or 25mm bits, but thought they'd be a bit of a faff in terms of lugging to and fro and also using for longer fixes.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print