Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 10:37pm
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bt bothered? (Read 7382 times)
supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

bt bothered?
Nov 4th, 2004, 6:27pm

will BT be bothered that i used cat5e cable to a JB to replace their old crap to the servers phone point?

i dont personly cos as i see it it exeeds their spec but....

and the forum is damn quiet...why?

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Re: bt bothered?
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2004, 6:33pm

Quiet because you rewired that phone point  Grin

Is it before their NTE or NTP??  They may be a little funny if it is, but when are they ever gonna see it??

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2004, 6:36pm

its on the jb on their drop from the pole so yeh

ya can see it quite clearly lol

its grey cable going with black to a black jb Cheesy

ill change it if and when the porch is done Tongue

in the meantime wheres that felt tip...

lol

ss

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2004, 6:56pm

Is it a broadband line??  Shared with a phone??  Just interested how you set your server up.

Had a bugger of a job today - broadband wouldn't work in a house, AOL says its connected so should work.

Found that some sockets where wired in alarm cable, so pulled it out and fitted new (easy runs in crawl space type lofts).  Tried again, no joy.

Found where the BT drop came into the house, and fitted a master to it with all extensions disconnected - Ran an extension cable over the roof, and broadband worked.  Connected up the extensions and disconnected the cable that fed them from the 'lost' master - stopped working again.

Had 1 dodgy filter, 1 extension that must have been damp, the ringer cable shorted to earth on one leg that I couldn't replace (used a spare core).......Finally, its working!!

Then, almost home, no power to kitchen at the local pub.......

Hey, im home now though.  Beer in hand.

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2004, 8:02pm

LOL
yeh its BB

ss

IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2004, 9:03pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1099592866/0#3 date=1099594611]
Had 1 dodgy filter, 1 extension that must have been damp, the ringer cable shorted to earth on one leg that I couldn't replace (used a spare core).
[/quote]
i wouldn't have thought you would need to feed a ringer core to the input side of a microfilter (not sure though)

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2004, 9:13pm

You dont for a micro filter - they provide a ringer.  But it is good practise to still connect it, for if ever broadband was removed from the line, notmal phones would still need it.

IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2004, 12:24am

When I was with BT I had broken their terms by taking a feed direct from the box for an extension.
According to them I should have used an adapter plugged in.
They look so unsightly. Wink
If I even had problems I pulled the extension wires out (they led to 4 other phone points) then put them back when they left.
If they had ever seen the wiring I had my excuse ready.
"The extension was made by ***** who went out of business last year"
When I went over to cable they couldn't understand why I wanted the feed into the rear of the house instead of the front where they wanted to put it.
The simple reason was that would have left my computer at the end of all the extension lines and the slightest break would have cut me off.
I had 2 lines connected.
What I found funny was that the cable telephone fitters put my main line to the BT outlet and the second line to their new socket.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2004, 1:32am

[quote author=Dewy  link=1099604384/0#7 date=1099614297]When I was with BT I had broken their terms by taking a feed direct from the box for an extension.
According to them I should have used an adapter plugged in.
They look so unsightly. Wink
[/quote]

yeah thats why they introduced the NTE5 with a seperate section for customer wiring which can be easilly removed to test the line

has anyone here ever had a problem with a BT engineer complaining about such things?

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2004, 1:34am

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1099604384/0#3 date=1099594611]Is it a broadband line??  Shared with a phone??  Just interested how you set your server up.

Had a bugger of a job today - broadband wouldn't work in a house, AOL says its connected so should work.

Found that some sockets where wired in alarm cable, so pulled it out and fitted new (easy runs in crawl space type lofts).  Tried again, no joy.

Found where the BT drop came into the house, and fitted a master to it with all extensions disconnected - Ran an extension cable over the roof, and broadband worked.  Connected up the extensions and disconnected the cable that fed them from the 'lost' master - stopped working again.

Had 1 dodgy filter, 1 extension that must have been damp, the ringer cable shorted to earth on one leg that I couldn't replace (used a spare core).......Finally, its working!!

Then, almost home, no power to kitchen at the local pub.......

Hey, im home now though.  Beer in hand. [/quote]
what did you do with the master in the end?
leave the lost master in place
leave the master you connected for testing in place
put the master in an accessible place

IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2004, 8:44am

My wholesaler sells the black external stuff for £16.87 +VAT for 200m. I'd use that and they'd never cotton on.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2004, 12:34pm

I've swapped pairs on a DP on a pole in a hedge - Large house had three lines, main house, annex, and office.  I swaped annex and office around, as my uncle was moving his office into the annex, and letting out the 'office'.

I have some of the 'jellies they use, given to me by a BT bloke who lives near me.

Never had a real problem with BT, other than their cable clipping!!  Moved my NTE5 to my loft (overhead drop), and ran my extensions and broadband from there.  Had a second line put in for the fax, BT bloke laughed when he saw the NTE5 lying on the fibre glass, said he isn't allowed into the loft unless it is borded due to insurance, and would I connect the extra pair to another NTE5 -  Grin  They dont give a monkeys, they are on performance related pay - performance being speed!!  Lost count how many NTE5's I have moved, and how many overhead drops I have re-located.  If i had a key to their pillars i would be away  Grin   Grin   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print