Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 7:42am
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DAB (Read 12559 times)
LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: DAB
Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2004, 11:55pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1099870873/0#11 date=1099933706]DAB is NOT transmitted through satalite or freeview, these are audio channels on your package. [/quote]

Damn!, well it's good enough so im not going to get DAB, I was going to wait awhile to buy a new radio tuner and thought il get a DAB radio, but the sound quality is so good theres just no point.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #18 - Nov 9th, 2004, 12:00am

[quote author=plugwash  link=1099870873/0#14 date=1099944931]btw im in a student resisdence block and it seems i can't get uktv history and several other freeview channels here so no its not all bliss [/quote]

Thats because thay channel along with some others don't come as standard, you have to pay for top up TV which is £7.99 a month + one off £20 connection fee (connected yourself), you then get a viewing card which decodes them channels.

Thats if of course you have a box with a card reader, all boxes between 2002 and late 2004 didnt have slots, they now have around 8 boxes with slots, the big seller is the Thomson DTI2300 which sells for around £80, It's not a match on my sony, but it really isnt too bad, main things that are not as good to the sony are the channels take longer to load.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2004, 12:00am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #19 - Nov 9th, 2004, 12:13am

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1099870873/15#18 date=1099958408]

Thats because thay channel along with some others don't come as standard, you have to pay for top up TV which is £7.99 a month + one off £20 connection fee (connected yourself), you then get a viewing card which decodes them channels.

Thats if of course you have a box with a card reader, all boxes between 2002 and late 2004 didnt have slots, they now have around 8 boxes with slots, the big seller is the Thomson DTI2300 which sells for around £80, It's not a match on my sony, but it really isnt too bad, main things that are not as good to the sony are the channels take longer to load.
[/quote]
most of the uktv channels are pay but im pretty sure uktv history is free

this exact same box had no problems getting it when i was at home

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2004, 12:25am

I beg ur pardon mate, ur right  Roll Eyes

Just checked it out, it's the other UKTV channel im thinking off (Gold) - also UKStyle is not free, UKTV History is free and is available here, are you missing any others  ???

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2004, 12:27am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #21 - Nov 10th, 2004, 3:17pm

cheers guys

does it matter how big the aerial is?
or what its made from? ie, copper, steel, aluminum

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #22 - Nov 13th, 2004, 5:07pm

Never beleive anyone when they say size doesn't matter Wink

Yep for DAB the dipole length will aim to be about 1/4 of the wavelength of the centre frequency. In a domestic situation like this, size of cable matters only in so far as the the fatter it is the more signal hits the bu66er in the first place. But if you go for a loop at the end so it keeps the upper and lower cables approximately 3 inches apart, in old money, then you'll be in the right ball park. This is slightly larger than you'd have on a horizontally mounted dipole, but it allows for the fact that it'll be on a loft batten which will slope with the angle of the roof. If you're just putting it on a horizontal timber then reduce it slightly to about 2.5 inches. The total width of the wire dipole should come up at about a couple of feet (use some nice 4mm solid if you can get it). I reckon you'll find this will give you much inproved FM as well as spot on DAB if you stick it into a combiner or the FM i/p of your loft amp.

Happy Blue Petering Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print