Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: moving consumer unit
Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2004, 1:46pm

i know some have expressed concern about crimps on solid cable

has anyone here ever considered soldering mains wiring?

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2004, 1:47pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1100790006/15#15 date=1100858927]

as much as like to no.
they still block links here despite offering different things. you will have to talk to them ive tryed and was ignored

ss

[/quote]

yep, whats more you can't even put the new name as that gets blocked, even in the signature line, AFAIC they sùck Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2004, 1:51pm

[quote author=plugwash  link=1100790006/15#17 date=1100872002]i know some have expressed concern about crimps on solid cable

has anyone here ever considered soldering mains wiring?
[/quote]

No, personaly I think it's a poor method and takes more time, however it's allowed if done correctly, but then theres other issues to take account of  Roll Eyes

Crimps are a much better method than soldered joints, certainly in this case  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2004, 1:52pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #20 - Nov 19th, 2004, 4:28pm

[quote author=The_Trician  link=1100790006/0#12 date=1100828917]Entrelec are about the best, but I couldn't remember the name!

TT [/quote]
Erico ( http://www.erico.com ) have some nice looking stuff, but I've never used it.  Their distribution blocks look particularly handy:

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2004, 7:25pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1100790006/15#16 date=1100871906]

There isnt one, crimps don't need to be accesible  Wink
[/quote]

That's exactly what I meant, and a reason why crimps may be used over DIN-mount terminals!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2004, 8:36pm

I like TT's approach - very sturdy, methodical and neat (shame he dont want to get registered coz he is a good sparky).

Mind you I do own up to having crimpmd to extend cables but within CU's and never ever had one fail and as had been pointed out not subject to inspection whereas TT's nice solution is.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2004, 8:38pm

Probably a greater problem for our friend Borris is the issue of the fact that he can, probably, now only be able to get new colour code cables....mixing with old colours....

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #24 - Nov 20th, 2004, 12:07am

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1100790006/15#22 date=1100896589](shame he dont want to get registered coz he is a good sparky). [/quote]

Yep and let TT decide what he wants to do in his own time, bl00dy part p has too much word space  Roll Eyes

Quote:
That's exactly what I meant, and a reason why crimps may be used over DIN-mount terminals!

Yea well the din idea was another alternative to the crimps, and probably easiest way to comply

Din-rail mounted terminals are still nice tho
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2004, 12:08am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Reply #25 - Nov 20th, 2004, 11:15am

Who says a box with DINs inside has to be accessable?

Get it boarded over!!

Only joking - I do try to be a good sparky!

Its just that having worked in Industry where it is vital that connections don't fail, I hate crimped joints. We used to fit em as a tempory measure to get a machine producing again, but they'd be ripped out the following weekend and the job would be either 'boxed' as above, or rewired altogether. Plus, you can add/alter stuff more easily if you have a nice big box with terminals to play with.

If I had a mad rush of blood to the head and decided to rewire my place tomorrow, I'd have enough Junction boxes to last me a lifetime, what with all the adding on I've done over the years!

I'm not keen on junction boxes but my-oh-my have they saved the day on more occasions than I care to remember.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #26 - Nov 20th, 2004, 1:32pm

When screw junctions have to be 'accessible' surely the mere fact one has to lift carpets and floorboards to gain access still means they are 'accessible'. Buring them in concrete aint!

Its interesting TT - about crimps - I used to work at ESA for space vehicles we were only allowed to use two type of links - crimps and connectors (all gold plated, I mean the lot) and connectors were only allowed to be made ONCE, just prior to launch, if anything went wrong and the connector had to be withdrawn then the entire connector assemplies had to be changed.

Soldering was a no-no of course coz junction will out-gas so 'pcb' assemblies were welded joints. I have also used crimps on military systems (tanks etc) - because it is claimed - they are a much better form of junction. Mind you sample tests were taken and bloody great weights were hung off crimped junctions.

I agree they look naff and weak but ......

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #27 - Nov 20th, 2004, 1:38pm

[quote author=The_Trician  link=1100790006/15#25 date=1100949359]Only joking - I do try to be a good sparky! [/quote]

Was getting worried for a minute  Grin

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #28 - Nov 20th, 2004, 2:17pm

I'm interested in this Ray, we used crimps for tempory jobs, especially on working machinary because of fatigue failure due to vibration.

Love to see how you made the joints so sound that a 52 ton Chieften bowling over the Rhineland on exercise at 40mph wouldn't break em!

Must have been bloody good crimps!

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #29 - Nov 20th, 2004, 2:22pm

i heared from someone who uded to be in the navy that they tested big crimpers (hydralically driven for huge cables) by crimping a connecgtor onto a peice of cable then cutting the joint in half

if there was ANY crack between the connector and the cable then the tool was considered faulty and sent to be recalibrated

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #30 - Nov 20th, 2004, 9:29pm

[quote author=The_Trician  link=1100790006/15#28 date=1100960230]Love to see how you made the joints so sound that a 52 ton Chieften bowling over the Rhineland on exercise at 40mph wouldn't break em!

Must have been bloody good crimps!

TT [/quote]

TT, They use large bolt trough crimps under the runway strips and taxiways on the airport, anything other than crimps would come apart a little too soon with the weight of a jumbo jet landing at high speed  Smiley

I think they inspect the crimps every so often tho to check that none have come loose, but don't think they have any problems  8)
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2004, 9:31pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #31 - Nov 21st, 2004, 12:43am

Ah right - eyelug to eyelug with bolts - that makes sense. I was thinking more about thru', inline, or butt connectors, which are crimped to each end of a cable.

This type used to break with monotonous regularity where I used to work.

The larger ones were ok - 70mm upwards and using a hydraulic foot-pedal-operated crimper, or with a small pump motor depending on the size to be crimped, but the red/yellow/blue plastic-insulated ones used in control wiring were hopeless.

TT

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #32 - Nov 21st, 2004, 12:46am

Yep TT, this particular thing I was thinking of was for a 25mm earth line, they used larger eye crimps and then made a fold in the copper to fit, effectively they had a protective ring, therefore if any lug came un-done the whole air strip wouldn’t loose its earth  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #33 - Nov 25th, 2004, 8:07pm

Bigger stuff tends to get done with hydraulic crimpers.... They scare the shite out of me. Just like being near a steel press in action... the thoughts of my fingers anywhere near one of those is spooky... me no like... but like too.  Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print