Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:50am
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
reconditioning quality saws (Read 4704 times)
mr_spanton
GDPR opt-out

reconditioning quality saws
Dec 4th, 2004, 4:31pm

Does anyone know if you can restore a good saw that has a few dents or minor bends in its blade? (like a diston that type of thing) I bet you'd know jasonB. What advice can anyone offer please?
Mr Spanton

IP Logged

andymac
GDPR opt-out

Re: reconditioning quality saws
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2004, 4:59pm

Doesn't answer your question I know, but I got a brand-new, still-in-the-sleeve Disston from a car boot sale a couple of years ago. It sat on the stall for a few weeks and every time I went past, it said "Buy me, buy me" until temptation proved irresistible. Not bad for twenty quid !!

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2004, 6:47pm

It's very hard to find a real saw doctor these days most places that take saws in for sharpening just put them in a machine that grinds new teeth & sets them, the old boys who did it by hand are a rarity.

I use the Stanley jetcuts 7 & 11 tpi for general cutting, a modern style 265mm japanese pull saw for finer work on site and keep my traditional japanese saws for the workshop. Once they get blunt I throw the stanleys away, buy replacement blades for the Jap' saws as its cheaper than having them sharpened.

Jason

IP Logged

splinter
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2004, 8:04pm

Mr Spanton,
              It is vertually impossible  to get rid of the dents in a saw unless you heat it up and beat the dent out.If you got a good quality saw with a bend in it  ( pre second world war)you can get rid of the bend by shaking it by the handle and the bend will come out off it(believe it or not).
 Sadly as JasonB says, all doh these are quality saws they do not match the stanley jet saw for sharpness

IP Logged

mr_spanton
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2004, 8:59pm

Thanks for the replies and advice lads. Since I posted I came accross an article on Alburnams Archive that describes a way to gently hammer dents out. I might just try that on a rusty old diston to start. Why is it the pre war saws steels that you can shake the bends out of splinter?
I used shark pull saws (stay sharp longest I find), bahco pro-cut (almost as good), jet cuts like you Jason (almost as good as bahco).
Thanks Mr Spanton

IP Logged

splinter
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2004, 9:48pm

[quote author=mr_spanton  link=1102177892/0#4 date=1102193946]Thanks for the replies and advice lads. Since I posted I came accross an article on Alburnams Archive that describes a way to gently hammer dents out. I might just try that on a rusty old diston to start. Why is it the pre war saws steels that you can shake the bends out of splinter?
I used shark pull saws (stay sharp longest I find), bahco pro-cut (almost as good), jet cuts like you Jason (almost as good as bahco).
Thanks Mr Spanton [/quote]

All I can say on that is ,that it is to do with the quality of steel that the saw is made of.This seems to be the age of quality tools (I do suggest you do this in  private as the general public might not know what you're up to)Sprung steel aaaaaaaah Good old days.

IP Logged

mr_spanton
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2004, 8:55pm

Well I got my saw doctored all right. An "old type boy" got a hold of it, bent it right over into a u shape this way and that 5 or 6 times; (I was wincing in case it slapped me in the face, and I'm thinking you cant do that to a saw). Suddenly a nasty sharp dent was gone, perfectly straight saw, and he sharpende it as well its like a row of razor needles. Lethal. It is a diston; he said the steel is hard, its wearing me file out quicker than usual. To think all joiners had to sharpen there own saws before disposables came along. What next-disposable chisels??

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2004, 5:04pm

Don't throw your old chisels away, keep them for opening tins of paint Wink

I have read the same about chisels, the steel is a lot better on old ones provided you can find them without too much pitting and with a nice flat back.

Jason

IP Logged

mr_spanton
GDPR opt-out

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2004, 10:41pm

I have had some excellent chisel bargains from car boot at redcar. I always think you can tell how well a chisel was cared for (or not) by how long you have to spend flatting and polishing the back. Sometimes less than 2 mins, sometimes 1/2 an hour. They older ones do seem to hold edge for longer, and easier to get the wire edge (almost sharpen themselves)
What chisels do you use Jason?

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2004, 7:41am

In the workshop I use a set of Japanese chisels, hold their edge for ages but are a bit too easily nicked for use on site.

I have a set of short stanleys that I carry all the time, on the rare occasion that I have to cut a lock in I will take a longer chisel with me, black handled Stanley. Also got a couple of big framing chisels for working green oak/timber frame work.

Jason

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print