Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 12:56am
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help on testing (Read 1979 times)
supra59
GDPR opt-out

help on testing
Dec 11th, 2004, 8:56pm

hi all on a new instalation i have a fluke 1653 and i have carried out a insulation test what would be the correct reading across phase and newtral and phase and cpc

the reading i get is 500 m ohms on all the tests with thats testing 1 curcuit or all at the same time as this is new to me im not sure whether this is right or wrong
when i go across phase and cpc it varies but before test finishes goes to 500 thanks in advance

Paul
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2005, 9:29pm by supra59 »  

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: help on testing
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2004, 9:16pm

Hey Paul

For insulation resistance readings between conductors or earth you should get 200MOhm's or higher, 0.5MOhms does comply altho this requires further investigation.

Make sure you do the tests on a disconected circuit or you will get false readings.

Quote:
the reading i get is 500 m ohms on all the tests with thats testing 1 curcuit or all at the same time as this is new to me im not sure whether this is right or wrong  

Correct testing is between any conductor and earth, 500MOhms is a normal reading, you can test all circuits together but you may get a lower reading and this would require spliting up all the circuits and testing one by one to ensure they all have acceptable readings.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2004, 9:19pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supra59
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2004, 10:01pm

thanks Ls
i asumed this was ok but was unsure as i have never done testing before and reading up on this test it only states like you said 0.5 minimum and if less than 2m ohms as a hole  then each circuit should be tested seperately so its abit unclear of the readings you actually get thanks again Paul

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2004, 10:03pm

No problem Paul, just make sure theres no 'holes' in the cables, and that you can test seperatly or as a 'whole'  Grin

also

For Circuits operating at 230V testing is at 500V

For Circuit's operating at SELV testing should be at 250V
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2004, 10:04pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print