Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 4:40pm
Quote: There are two theories to arguing with women. Trust me, neither one works.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
One radiator not working... (NOW RESOLVED) (Read 14841 times)
billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: One radiator not working...
Reply #17 - Feb 11th, 2005, 7:21pm

i take it you found your rad thermometers then chaddy(at the ends of your arms?)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2005, 7:22pm

lol BTK yes had to stop using my tongue when it got blistered!! Tongue Tongue Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dave.B

Why do people keep looking
at me funny?

Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2005, 7:35pm

I read a link on here the other day about balancing the rads (I think it might have been on your thread chaddy?) but all other rads in the house seem to be at a similar temp (i.e. by touch), actually they are all bloody hot to the touch - maybe that is a problem in itself.

The gunk in the pipe theory is a sound one - the original high level heater was fed by 15mm pipe, and immediately after that it branched into 8mm - I may try taking the rad off tomorrow and give that a go.

The lockshield valve does have a drain cock on it, even though it's on the first floor (split level house - i.e. upside down), but it's it such an awkward position I may not be able to get a hose on it.

I've abandoned the "all other rads off" test now, as it's been 50 minutes with no effect. Shame - it was a good idea that made a lot of sense to me.

@ Chaddy: I don't know if the plumber who fitted the system balanced the rads or not. From what I can tell, there were only 4 radiators fitted when the house was built (1985), and sometime since then someone has been in and fitted more radiators (the pipes for these are 8mm and fixed to the wall inside conduit - looks terrible, but I have more urgent aesthetic problems to sort before I do that!).
So I think the whole system is a bit of a mish-mash of different people's work. I have been here for just over a year now so it's a mystery to me really.
The only thing my plumber did was to remove one high level fan heater from the kitchen. Unfortunately, I think he was just unlucky with this.

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Dave.B

at me funny?

Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2005, 7:36pm

[quote author=Chaddy  link=1104676041/15#18 date=1108149724]lol BTK yes had to stop using my tongue when it got blistered!! Tongue Tongue Roll Eyes [/quote]

LOL: I have just burnt my ear trying to listen for flow through another radiator - just to make sure I turned it off!

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2005, 7:47pm

*shakes head*

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

cupid

stand&be counted? sod
that,lie down no  number?

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2005, 8:03pm

BTK i thought all plummers took a sharp intake of breath through the front teeth then shake there head,just before they say : thats going to cost you Shocked
cupid Wink

Give me the MEN i will do the job MYSELF!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2005, 8:08pm

I'd have shaken my head if i'd burnt my ear too Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dave.B

at me funny?

Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2005, 3:59pm

OK, I decided not to mess with this myself, and the plumber has just been to have a look at it. He is fitting a new radiator in my en-suite for me next week so I though that while he has it drained he might as well try and sort this out too.

He is of the opinion (after I told him what I had done already following your advice) that there is an air lock in one of the pipes to this radiator. He is going to fit automatic air vents in each pipe up in the loft on Thursday and he seemed certain that this will fix it. I'm inclined to trust him, but what do you guys think?

IP Logged

Dave.B

at me funny?

Reply #25 - Feb 24th, 2005, 2:08pm

Woo hoo!
The plumber has just been and left. I have a new towel rail in my en-suite, my ball-valve in the loft is not dripping anymore and more importantly: the radiator in question is now working again.

Only cost me £40 so Dave.B is a very happy boy indeed!

The problem was what many of you suggested: air lock in the flow pipe going to the radiator. Cured as you suggested by closing one valve and cracking the union nut at one end, then vice versa. Just didn't have the guts to do it myself!

Many thanks to everyone who offerred their advice.
Dave

IP Logged

JerryD
Re: One radiator not working... (NOW RESOLVED)
Reply #26 - Feb 24th, 2005, 6:09pm

Forty Quid!!  Thats's far too cheap. Are you sure he was a plumber?

lol  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dave.B

at me funny?

Reply #27 - Feb 24th, 2005, 6:24pm

I know, like I say, I'm still beaming from ear to ear.
As I mentioned earlier, he has quit the trade and is now only doing small jobs for people he knows - he is a friend of a friend, so mate's rates apply I suppose.
I'm going to spend the money I saved on a slap up curry with extra sag aloo this weekend.  Tongue

IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #28 - Feb 24th, 2005, 10:44pm

Nice one Dave what time we all meeting up Grin Grin Roll Eyes

Pleased you got it sorted at last mate. And a bargain too.

Will you buy me a lottery ticket this weekend Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print