Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:12am
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Door Knobs Query (Read 4320 times)
HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Door Knobs Query
Jan 3rd, 2005, 1:54pm

I have a small job to replace internal door handles within a property. No problem with doing that job.

However the existing door handles hide a large 2in+ round hole which goes right thru the door. I'm a little concerned that I might need to cover that up with the new door handles.

Customer has chosen a set of round door handles, not 100% sure if the circular plate on which the handle sits will be big enough to cover the hole in the door. And even if it does I might be faced with having no mounting material to screw into. Obviously some thru-door connectors might solve that problem (if I can find any).

What I was wondering was whether it is possible to buy a large thin circular (or perhaps even oblong) cover plate which could sit under the handle. Something very thin and aesthetically neutral. Can't remember seeing anything like this in the DIY stores so I wondered if other people might be able to come up with some ideas?

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: Door Knobs Query
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 2:01pm

Not sure of an off the shelf solution, I would consider turning up a bit of scrap and glueing it into the door then re drilling for the latch. Speaking of which you will need to replace this as the type of handle you are taking out does not have the usual square spindle and the plate on the edge of the door is usually wider than the standard 1" on a tubular latch.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 2:15pm

Thanks Jason. I don't have a lathe so spinning my own solution isn't an option.

Also, these are odd doors. The depth from the edge of the door to the spindle is a massive 3.5in and I've got a couple of mortice latches to replace. I think that translates roughly to a 100mm mortice latch which I've just ordered, where the backset is 82mm.

I posted recently about these doors being 82.5in x 32.5in, way bigger than anything in the sheds. The interior doors are even hung with 100mm external hinges.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 2:28pm

I was thinking of a more modern type of lock, CIBA used to make.

You could just cut a couple of discs from scrap ply with a jigsaw or holesaw, and glue them in to take any screws.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 4:55pm

Hmm, holesaw sounds like a possibility. If I have a holesaw which is very close to the size of the hole in the door then I could drill some thin plywood circles which could then be offered into the hole. Add some bulk material like sawdust to fill any tiny gaps and PVA would do the job. Then fill with woodfiller when everything is dry.

I'll give that some thought....thanks for setting the cogs in motion.

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

andymac
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 5:32pm

Have you considered something akin to the old brass door plates but incorporating the knobs instead of being a separate entity, Andrew?

I don't know what colour the doors are, but might it be possible to cut some plates out of sheet plastic of a suitable gauge and colour them to match the door?

I know they'd stand proud of the door itself but, depending on the situation, might there be a possibility of making a feature of the plates?

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2005, 5:32pm by andymac »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 6:59pm

That's more or less the direction of my thoughts AM. I know you can buy small rectangular decorative panels for doors which protect the door from fingermarks, dunno what they are called or where you get them, but the thought struck me that if I could get something sort of postcard sized I could make it a feature of the door, sitting the handle (or rather, knob) on top of it.

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 7:28pm

Andrew, I believe they are called 'finger plates'.  Most good joinery or ironmongers/tool shops will keep them.  However they are usually long and oblong.

You can get 'kickplates' for the bottom of the door and these are often made to order due to the multitude of sizes possible.  You could order postcard size kickplates?  They would come ready drilled and countersunk and no doubt you could ask them for the hole in the middle too.

No idea how long this type of thing takes though, is this job ready to go?

How about approaching a local 'metal worker'?  He could knock up something surely?  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 8:22pm

All good stuff there JerryD. Thanks!

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print