Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 11:51am
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Causes of boiler noises and pumping over? (Read 15757 times)
oggy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Causes of boiler noises and pumping over?
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:07am

I have problems with my vented c/h system making banging noises in the boiler and pumping over into the f/e tank.

The system is about 12 years old with TRVs on all but 2 rads. The Myson Orion Fanfare boiler was moved and extra rads added just over a year ago.

About 20 mins or so after it first comes on in the morning there is a rumbling/banging/rattling noise in the boiler for a few seconds and the system pumps over. Often it is then fine for the rest of the day, but sometimes it will repeat it later on. Occassionally it has done it repeatedly for 5-10 mins! At the point the rumbling/banging starts the sound of the water going round the rads dies down for a second and then surges (causing the pumping over) before going back to its normal speed.

I initially thought it was the pump as it was noisy and did jam once so I changed that, however it has not solved the problem. It's 3 speed and is currently set on 2. I tried turning it down to 1 (as is often suggested to stop pumping over) but this made it worse.  Unfortunately, running it on speed 2 makes the water circulating round the rads quite noisy!

I also had problems the other day with the f/e tank overflowing and pulling in fresh water at the same time so I've temporarily got the cold feed to the tank turned off. What level of water should there be in the tank? Mine was about 2/3 full with the end of the overflow dipping down below the surface, although there was no leak from the cold feed. With the cold feed off and rads bled, the level is remaining at just below halfway but I obviously need to set a level and get the supply turned back on.
I realise the pumping over is not good for the system and needs fixing as it will be causing corrosion, so what are the likely causes? Searching various forums etc. suggestions seem to be:
  • faulty pump? - well it's been replaced and I've checked the electrics to make sure its not cutting out
  • pump too fast? - it's worse when turned down
  • bad design? - it used to be ok!
  • f/e tank level too high? - it's still happening with the level reduced and again it used to be ok!
  • a blockage? - possible, but all rads get hot (very hot!) so I think this is unlikely
  • faulty boiler thermostat? - I currently think this may be the most likely cause (especially with the very hot rads?) Is there a simple check/test I can do to confirm this before calling out a Corgi to fix it, bearing in mind the fault is intermittent?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice……..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Re: Causes of boiler noises and pumping over?
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2005, 12:37am

Pump problem.

Boiler banging and not pumping over is lack of circulation.

However the force of the water being propelled up the pipe on its way to the header tank is freeing the impellor

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

oggy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2005, 1:00pm

Thanks for the reply but I recently changed the pump and this didn't fix the problem.

One suggestion has been to drain it all down and refill in case there is an air lock in there somewhere. Is that likely and would draining/refilling be worthwhile?

Thanks.....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2005, 1:42pm

But have you checked the pump is working, prior to the banging.

Could be something else sticking that controls the pump like a microswitch in a motorised valve, or an over-run switch, if it has one, must check me little book if its in there.

scruff

IP Logged

greg
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2005, 3:13pm

you say the boiler was moved, has the pump been moved too?  did the problem begin straight after the boiler was moved?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2005, 8:25pm

When the boiler was moved, was it wired correctly, permanent live, switch live, pump live, plus what scruff said regarding sticking stats and microswitches
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2005, 8:27pm by PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN »  

If you cant find someone else to blame, run like fack.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

oggy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2005, 11:08pm

There are 2 motorised valves (HW & CH) which control the pump and I did manage to confirm that there was still a supply (simply with a voltage tester screwdriver) when the banging occurred and also it didn't sound like the pump was stopping! I'll try and check again, but with it being an intermittent problem it of course hasn't gone wrong today!!!

The boiler was moved over a year ago but the pump was not. There was the odd bang after the move but this was put down to air in the system and it seemed to settle down until recently. The move was done by pro's so I can only assume it was all done correctly!!

Today we turned the boiler thermostat right down to 1 and the rads are still too hot to touch so surely the boiler stat must be faulty. Do you agree? And would this cause the symptoms described?

Thanks again to you all for the help............

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2005, 11:48pm

[quote author=oggy  link=1105056479/0#6 date=1105225716]
The move was done by pro's so I can only assume it was all done correctly!!

[/quote]

lol Roll Eyes Shocked Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2005, 11:50pm

Turn the stat up, does the boiler come on  ???, trn the stat down does it go off  ???

Probably ok then.

You have two motorized valves how are they connected and where, also do you have an auto by-pass valve and where is it in relation to the pump.

scruff

IP Logged

oggy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2005, 12:21am

Well, the boiler stat has been on 1 for a few days and the system has been remarkably quiet - though the rads are still too hot to touch - much hotter than they used to be on 3 or 4!
I tried turning it up all the way to 7 - there was a click at about 2 but it did not fire up - not for at least a minute.
When it had been on 7 for a while the banging started again. I tried turning it back down but it did not go off until it was down below 2.

The pipe from the pump goes to a tee with a motorised valve on each branch - one to the rads, the other to the HW tank. There's no auto by-pass - at least not that I'm aware of!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2005, 9:26pm

Not sure where Scruff is today - This bypass he mentioned is to allow the pump to circulate water when both valves are shut and the pump over run is operating. So you would normally find a 15mm pipe connected to the flow pipe leaving the pump (before it gets to the valves) and connecting to the boiler return pipe it will also have a valve of some sort either auto or manual to regulate the amount of water that can pass along the bypass.

David.
______

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2005, 9:41pm

[quote author=chtechie  link=1105056479/0#10 date=1105565163]Not sure where Scruff is today - This bypass he mentioned is to allow the pump to circulate water when both valves are shut and the pump over run is operating. So you would normally find a 15mm pipe connected to the flow pipe leaving the pump (before it gets to the valves) and connecting to the boiler return pipe it will also have a valve of some sort either auto or manual to regulate the amount of water that can pass along the bypass.

Scruffs in London all week. Roll Eyes
David.
______ [/quote]

IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2005, 9:52pm

Ah - Alive & well in the smoke I see

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2005, 9:39pm

[quote author=chtechie  link=1105056479/0#10 date=1105565163]Not sure where Scruff is today - This bypass he mentioned is to allow the pump to circulate water when both valves are shut and the pump over run is operating. So you would normally find a 15mm pipe connected to the flow pipe leaving the pump (before it gets to the valves) and connecting to the boiler return pipe it will also have a valve of some sort either auto or manual to regulate the amount of water that can pass along the bypass.
David.
______ [/quote]

The auto by-pass is also to control the system head as and when the thermostatic radiator valves close, which in turn stops the system becoming noisy.

scruff

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2005, 9:40pm by thescruff »  
IP Logged

oggy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2005, 12:59am

There is no by-pass as there were no TRVs originally. There are however still a couple of rads without TRVs.

So anyway, surely red hot rads with the boiler stat on 1 suggests the stat is faulty doesn't it? If so, how much roughly?

Incidentally what would you suggest is the lifespan for a Myson Orion Fanfare boiler?

Thanks....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2005, 1:33am

Obviously its possible, and although I dont know your boiler, I would look elsewhere, for circulation problems, check any motorised valves by removing them, check for scale and sludge in the boiler heat exchanger.

check the gas valve is not sticking.

Is the problem more prominant when the boiler has been off for a few hours.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2005, 2:29am

What model number orion fanfare is it  ???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print